Pros & Cons of Installing a Deck Plate

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Bob Lascelles
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: English Muffin 2
Boat Type: Pearson Electra

Pros & Cons of Installing a Deck Plate

Post by Bob Lascelles »

I'm getting my 1963 Pearson Electra ready to launch for the first time. Over the winter, I stripped and refinished all of the mahogany and just finished re-bedding it all. I'm hoping this will help most of my deck leaks and save the wood work. Now I'm working on putting in a simple electrical system, battery, solar panel, bilge pumps, cabin and navigation lights. I'm looking for some advice on how to install thru-hulls in the transom for the bilge pumps (one small automatic pump for splash and one larger manual one for buying time).

My problem is the Electra has an after deck behind the cockpit, that is completely enclosed except for maybe a very small person wiggling aft from the cabin under the cockpit seats. I don't fit, not even close! I'm thinking about cutting a 6" round deck plate in the after deck so that I can access the inside of the transom. It seems pretty drastic and I'm not really very happy about cutting a hole in the deck that wasn't there to begin with. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Bob
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: Pros & Cons of Installing a Deck Plate

Post by Figment »

Don't think, just drill. We're all leery of putting holes in our boat at first. You'll quickly get over this.

Instead of a little deck plate, why not install a 12x12 or 12x18 hatch?
In addition to actually making the through-hull installation easy, you'd have the ability to stow (lightweight) gear.

I don't understand the thing about the two bilge pumps, though. the larger manual one is for "buying time"?
meaning it's for slowing the sinking in the event of a catastrophic hole in the hull?
Two thoughts on that:
1. Having an emergency pump on board is fine, but why put another hole in the hull for it? A discharge hose deployed over the side works just as well. You won't be concerned with appearances if the need arises.
2. If you manage to hole that hull, conditions are such that you're screwed anyway.
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

My issue was gaining access to the underside of the poop deck in order to attach backing plates, etc.; fortunately I have an engine well that could accommodate an access hatch...

I spent quite a few hours bringing the surface to fair, but I got over the hole created pretty quick.

Brian
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll go ahead and start cutting tomorrow. I've bought a 6" round deck plate, but the idea of a larger hatch for storage is really interesting. There's not much room below in the Electra and it would be really handy to have some room for fenders and dock lines back there. I've seen a couple of plastic deck hatches at West Marine, is any any one type better than others?

I'm putting in a 2 pump system with the idea that I can leave the little automatic one on all the time so as to take care of any minor leaking from topside. It'll only have a 3/4" hose, so not so much water will run back into the bilge when it shuts off. The bigger one will be turned on manually. I was thinking it would be good enough to buy some time if a thru hull lets go while we're on board or we have a small leak like from a grounding. If there's a big hole I guess your right, we'll be going swimming. I like the idea of only putting the one small 3/4" thru hull in the transom. Since the larger pump is not automatic, if it gets used, we'll be aboard and putting the hose over the side will be no problem. Thanks for the good ideas.

Also Froon thanks for the pictures of your deck plate in your engine well. It looks like a really good place to mount it, even if it was a lot of work. Getting access to the underside of the deck was also in my mind. I may want to add a traveller in the future, and I would also like to check out the back stay chain plate and whats under the deck cleats back there.

Thanks again

Have a good Memorial Day weekend!

Bob
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Bob
I wouldn't hesitate to install a deck plate for access (or a larger hatch). On my CS27 when I replaced the fuel tank I also replaced fill and vent hoses. The vent fitting was mounted high on the transom just off center to clear the outboard rudder. The cockpit well extends right to the transom and the gap aft of the well is only about 2". Because the vent was mounted high on the transom the vent was all but inaccessible. The original vent had to be installed before the deck was put on the hull. I installed a deck plate otherwise I couldn't have changed the corroded vent fitting. The main thing is to do it right. Sealed properly with any core removed and sealed with epoxy if present and it's not a problem. Access is always good as long as the cover keeps water out. Here's a pic of the vent before I enlarged the hole for the deck plate. I believe there should be access to all parts of a boat.
Attachments
2.jpg
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

If you're thinking that the port will be useful for access; make it large enough. It's painful to use one that's too small or in the wrong place. Also useful to remember that the sawn hole is larger than the port and that there are no sharp screw ends yet installed. These things can be mounted on curved surfaces; 'simply' build up to a flat surface with fillers and make it pretty.

Been there, done that; put about 7 into an old, beater Flying Dutchman so that I could mount hardware with backup plates.
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to put in a hatch. I picked up a dimension sheet from my local marine hardware store and they're going to order one for me as soon as I've decided on size. As it turns out, I was inspecting the outboard bracket and the mounting bolts are loose. So unless I lose about 50 lbs I definitely need to get access to the transom area through the after deck. I totally agree about access, being able to maintain a systems easily is key to routine Mx. The hatches I'm considering are from Bomar and are plastic with plastic twist locking dogs. I'm trying to keep the size down a bit so as to not weaken the deck near cleats or the main sheet blocks and I'll be sure to epoxy seal the edge of the cutout and the screw holes especially since the deck has a balsa core and seems to be in good shape. I'll send pictures when I'm done.

Thanks again
Bob