Marina Etiquette

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Nowell
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Aquila
Boat Type: Albin Vega #176

Marina Etiquette

Post by Nowell »

Hey folks. A few pretty simple questions. I don't have the ability to haul out right now. I have stripped my interior pretty bare, and am getting ready to take it apart piece by piece to clean, sand and paint the interior hull. Is this acceptable to do on weekend days in a marina? Is it acceptable to even do on the water? I would assume its like any other repairs you *should* be able to do while on the water. Finally, when I do have a chance for a haul out, i'll be closing some extra through hulls, as well as doing alot of external repairs. I know its probably better to wait for when its on the hard, but reality says it will be a good 6 months before shes on the hard. I hate to waste that time.

Thanks!

Nowell
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: Marina Etiquette

Post by Figment »

Depends on the marina. Is it a boatyard or a resort?
I've been places where it was odd to NOT hear someone running a sander or a drill.
I've been places where everyone gathers on the docks sipping daquiris in beach chairs while the kids run around with Super-Soakers.
Spend your goodwill wisely.
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I've worked on the interiors of three boats in 2 different marinas over the years without problems. Extensively. There are some marinas where it is frowned upon but as long as you're not recoring the decks and are working below it's usually ok. If the boats next to you are liveaboards you could have a problem unless they are doing the same kind of work.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aweigh
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Aweigh329 »

Is this acceptable to do on weekend days in a marina?
I have to agree with Figment, kinda depends on where you keep your boat. I can tell you this. Where I keep my boat you would not be greeted with smiles. Most of the folks in my marina are weekenders. The last thing they want is to hear a sander running all day. A couple hours midweek might be tolerated. I reserve noisy long term projects for the boat yard.