Strong but paint safe solvent or cleaners?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Strong but paint safe solvent or cleaners?

Post by Bluenose »

Despite my attempts to setup my mooring in a way that prevents the crappy (but require) plastic mooring ball away from Bolero, I managed to get a few mooring rubs on her blue topside paint. These scuffs appear to be mostly on the exterior of the paint and and I can flake pieces of the white plastic off with my fingernail.

So does anyone have some advice on progress cleaning strategies that protects the paint?

Thanks,
Bill
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Strong but paint safe solvent or cleaners?

Post by Hirilondë »

Hmmm, seems that a solvent won't help at all. Have you tried buffing the scuff out? Maybe use something like Finesse-It
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Weatherbird used to get white streaks from the fenders lining the side of the club tender - I would just rub them off with my fingers. The friction of my finger against the streak of rubber (or plastic) would take it off eventually. And build callous on my finger, incidentally.

Not sure if your situation is the same - but if so, it is more or less guaranteed to not damage the paint, at least!
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Bill, I've had good luck with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my docking scuffs, as long as the scuff mark is an "addition", not a "subtraction"!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I am in idiot! I have been using Magic Erasers around the house for years and I love them. Prior to Peter's post, I have never considered their use on a boat. That will change tomorrow. TRY MAGIC ERASERS!
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Magic Erasers are great around the boat. I've found them especially good for removing black mold from gelcoat.

Just be careful. I've used them on my hull to remove scuff marks etc. but have noted that the area in which I used them looks more white than the surrounding area. I don't know if this is because I have just removed more wax or grime in that area OR the magic eraser has some sort of "bleaching" agent in it. On my slightly "off-white" gelcoat, magic eraser use can lead to a slightly blotchy appearance. Remember also that they are abrasive. Use them with care.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Magic erasers are an abrasive, which is why they work well for cleaning. I don't know, but they may be more abrasive than desired on a nice shiny LPU paint job.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did pick up a box of Magic Erasers but I will work my towards using them and only after trying in the least noticeable place first.

Scratches, dings and scuffs are a frustrating part of using Tim's beautiful paint job but I guess the only option is keeping Bolero on its trailer in a glass case (I think I remember Tim offering me that service).

I will post results if I obtain any.

Cheers,
Bill
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

If you really think it needs a solvent to get cleaned, I would use the same solvent that the LPU manufacturer recommends using to clean the surface prior to painting. Of course, test on an inconspicuous area first.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Thanks again for all the replies. Today I was varnishing and had a couple of runs from my toe-rail. I quickly grabbed rag with a small bit of brushing thinner and wiped them up. Just for the heck of it a tried a light rub on these scuffs. They came off with ease.

I couldn't see any effect on the paint in the small area that I tested or the area where I cleaned up the varnish.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

LPU is immune to paint thinner or related solvents. Even acetone is fine, used with care.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Tim wrote:LPU is immune to paint thinner or related solvents. Even acetone is fine, used with care.
Tim, good to know.

And all of this.

Is now gone like it was never there.

Bill