How does everyone keep polished brass from tarnishing?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

How does everyone keep polished brass from tarnishing?

Post by earlylight »

Is there any agreement among this group as to the best way to protect polished brass (clocks, barometers light fixtures etc.) from tarnishing? What products does everyone use to polish their brass items as well as what do you use to overcoat the brass once it is polished in order to protect the bright finish?
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: How does everyone keep polished brass from tarnishing?

Post by Hirilondë »

I know of no way what-so-ever of keeping bright metals shiny that meets my standards for longevity and ability to maintain. Any type of clear finish simply makes things worse in the long run in my opinion. Moisture always seems to make its way under the finish and now you have a mess.

For most copper based alloys on my boat I have learned to love the color green. For the few items I really like shiny, I have learned to like the color green. Actually, green is my favorite color, it was not hard to learn to like green/bronze patina. I used to find it amusing to polish a few items down below, but I got over that rather quickly.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

Post by boatsnh »

Hi dick,
4 years ago i buffed out a nice bronze clock that came with our Dickerson ketch -The clock had tarnished & the "finish" had failed. I suspect the clock (Made by Schott in Germany) was 25 years old. I found an exterior grade lacquer spray at McMaster Carr. I forget the MacMaster code #, but if need be I'll scrounge for the can in the basement for maker. It's kept a nice color and looks about as new.

I'd suspect that a "clear coat" car finish would work also..Have your local autobody shop shoot some clear . They use the stuff every day..

Mike
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I am in the Hirilondë camp. Shine it once, then let the salt air do its thing. As long as you keep them clean, it will look intentional and it gives you more time to sail the boat. I have stripped clear coat off of two lanterns because they started getting black spots. Now they have started getting that nice greenish look. In my opinion, the tarnish looks so much saltier than shiny brass.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

In the Marine Corps we used a daily application of Brasso and rubbed with a soft cloth for a half hour or so.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

LOL David. In military colledge we used to put on our brass pins and buckle our belts with gloves on to avoid tarnishing our freshly polished look. Not so sure I am up for what it takes any more these days.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.