Rebuilding a Oday22

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Jeff P.
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Rebuilding a Oday22

Post by Jeff P. »

I looked at a Oday 22 yesterday that is a project. I can pick it up pretty cheap, but as usual there are the "good", "bad", and "ugly"! The good....most of the parts are there, i.e. mast, sails, most of the hardware. The bad, no title or trailer ( don't have one either) and no rudder! Now for the ugly( there's always the ugly), the boat has standing water inside about 4 inches deep above the mast step. I would guess it's been in there for at least three years or so. I would think all the wood stringers would be rotten, the cabin roofs plywood you can see thru the hatch (that's missing) has started to separate. I can stand on top of the cabin, but I would think the plywood would need replaced, how hard would that be? I'm thinking I would have to take the cap off and finish gutting the interior and replace all the stringers, and rebuild the roof. Is this project feasible? Or should I just keep looking? What he's asking for it is worth it for the parts at least.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Rebuilding a Oday22

Post by Case »

How much is your time worth?

Projects like this Oday 22 can suck up lots of time and money. Is the boat worth the attention, time, and money? Me, I would say no. But that is something you must decide yourself. It is different for each person.

I'll like to mention one thing: From wasteful hours of reading forums and looking at boats both in person and online, I've learned one thing: Boats that seem to be costly in its price/size range often are actually the cheapest boats in the long run. Why? They often don't need much more in work to be used. And they often have new stuff (and lots of personal grunt work keeping up the appearances) that the owner paid for but the boat value does not fully reflect that upgrade. It is how it is. For example, an owner might buy a new diesel for his sailboat. He may have paid 10 grand for it. Now its for sale... did the sailboat's value go up 10 grand? No, its maybe 5 grand at the most. When you stop and think about this, you can see how the seemingly costly boats in your range actually are the best deals in the long run.

I just wanted to mention this because once upon a time, I got really excited when I saw really cheap boats. Now I know they often are the most expensive in the long run. Junky project boats can be a great deal if it is your goal to gut everything then basically build that boat to your custom goals. Most people just want to sail and do a few fun projects, no more. For those, project boats can be a disaster.

- Case
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

It seems you have found a boat near if not over the threshold of where it is worth restoring. There are several things to consider before you commit to this in my opinion:

- Is the choice of an O'Day 22 important? (would you consider other designs of same size?)
- What else is available? (same design or acceptable other choices),(it is a buyers market)
- Are you excited about the prospect of a long, time consuming project that will cost more than you think? (This is a general question you should consider)
- Is there a particular reason other than it is available for this particular boat? (for some this matters)

The used sailboat market is way in favor of the buyer these days. With a little investigation you can likely find many boats within any parameters that are available. I would look for one that needs less of the dirty, expensive, time consuming tear out and major replacement type work. I would think there exists a boat in you area that would cost very little more, but end up cheaper in the end. I would at least look longer/harder before buying.

After you do decide on a boat, and it seems you are commited to do something, then this is a great place to come for questions and to post pictures. Welcome to the forum.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
jeffwagnpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Frogman
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Buy it! If you want to become a boat builder and a sailor, it will be the best learning experience you'll ever encounter, but you have to be dedicated and have passion. Then, new doors will open for you as others see you rebuilding a boat. Trust me, it's happening to me right now. The learning experience outweighs the financial cost and time of rebuilding my Person Ariel. So, go for it and LEARN.
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

As a guy who once owned an O'Day 22 with the fixed shoal (1' 11") keel, I can offer a little personal experience. I'll tell you, it wasn't a very good sailing boat. In fact I nicknamed her the "side slip special". It was very tough to head to weather, and generally a sloppy sailor - even off the wind. That said, we did have a lot of family fun with the boat. But the lack of sailing performance always bugged me.

Another consideration...O'Day 22's don't command much of a price tag, even in great condition... especially without a trailer. Of course, you should never think of any sailboat as an investment, because you're easily able to lose your shirt with any boat. It's more about doing something enjoyable with the money you're spending. But with the O'Day, I picked up an "easy project" boat that was in overall OK shape that I bought impulsively for a song, poured a ton of man-hours and about $4000 in new sails, roller furling, paint, cushions, hardware, etc., into her. I sold her in restored condition for just over $1000. Food for thought.

I have an Ensign now, and it's an entirely different experience, and a boat that's designed for a different purpose (daysailing vs. pocket cruising). But she sails wonderfully and comfortably, cleans up with a little TLC as well as any boat out there, and seems universally loved by all the sailors in bigger boats who compliment her as they pass. Should I sell, I know I'll lose some money too. But I might get to keep a little bit more of my investment, and I'll be sailing a boat I will enjoy as long as I own her. I spent more time cursing the O'Day than praising her. Just relaying a personal experience.

Of course it's a different animal altogether than an O'Day 22, but just food for thought. I don't mean to sound like I'm selling Ensigns. In that same general size, I'd suggest considering other boats like possibly a SeaSprite 23, Capy Dory Typhoon, Alberg 22, Pearson Electra/Ensign, Pearson Ariel/Commander (slightly bigger), or even an O'Day Mariner which I feel are all better boats to sail. There are a ton more boats in this size/price range that are wonderful, and many people here can offer suggestions.

I don't want to talk you out of anything that you think feels right. I just caution you against making the same mistake I did and buying impulsively, that's all. If you decide the O'Day 22 is right for you, great. Whatever you decide...have fun!
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998