Boom Gallows

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Boom Gallows

Post by Skipper599 »

... Hello fellow builders,
... I sure hope there's some kind of pre-determined answer to this query because I'm having the s.s. 'verticals' made up early this week and I would much prefer to have them cut to length one time only.

... Q: What height should the top of the Gallows beam be, in relation to the boom ???
I realise there must be clearance for the boom to swing but, how much ???

Notes:
1) The top of the 'Beam' has a 20' radius and ...
2) The gooseneck position is 'fixed' ... eg: it's not on a track that allows it to be down-hauled to stretch the luff ...

... I'm assuming the boom will lift some when the mains'l is hoisted, providing sufficient clearance ??? ... in which case, I'll have them made up so the boom will be horizontal when resting in the gallows ... allowing for a full length boom tent or bimini style cover.

... If there is interference when the main is hoisted, I would have to shorten the vertical posts to provide the required clearance ... does this make sense ???
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Boom Gallows

Post by Hirilondë »

I don't think any fits all answer can be given to this question. Not all boats will even work well with a gallows. But it should be as high as possible while never being in the way sailing. Over the companionway is a common location, but so is way aft. Which ever is most out of the way. How that interprets to your boat I can not say. You may want to build a throw away gallows out of framing materials and do some testing both as a boom support and while under sail to make sure you come up with a configuration that meets all necessary parameters before building the finished product. They do come in handy, and are a safety feature as well. Definitely something to consider on larger boats especially.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Hello Dave;
... The location is already determined by the length of the boom which requires the gallows be erected in the (fore & aft) center of the cockpit position in order for the aft end of the boom (black band) to rest in the gallows notch.

... It's the height I'm more concerned with ... moreover, I'm trying to build this with 'left-overs' hoping I don't have to buy more materials.

... The 'gooseneck' swivel is 30 inches above the coach roof and the distance from the coach roof to the coaming winch deck level is 15 inches, for a total 45 inches.

... Using a "left-over" piece of s.s.pipe, the verticals will be 34 inches tall, plus the height of the Gallows beam 6.75 inches for a total 40.75 inches. Simple math suggests I will have a 4 inch plus clearance and a bit more ... if the boom rises at the aft end when the sail is hoisted.

... Those of you who use boom gallows ... does 4" plus sound reasonable clearance to you ???

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Skipper599 wrote: ... The location is already determined by the length of the boom which requires the gallows be erected in the (fore & aft) center of the cockpit position in order for the aft end of the boom (black band) to rest in the gallows notch.
I am not sure why that makes the location determined. The gallows could be located forward if that were more convenient, practical or what ever. Concordias locate the gallow over the companionway, which keeps the cockpit open. It may be that you like mid cockpit better. If this does not interfer with the main sheet or other lines and you like it, then maybe it is a good choice, but don't feel it is determined because of where the end of the boom is.

4" might be kind of close. If you use socket type hardware to receive the uprights for your gallows you could start there and shorten them if needed later.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

It's apparently discredited in architecture these days, but some of us still dutifully say "less is more'. Why would you want more clutter on a small boat? What's wrong with a topping lift, which you'd still have anyway? Gallows were quite useful when booms were extraordinarily long, had associated gaffs, masts were short, and rigging was stretchy hemp. We found that a gallows would be useful when the topping lift breaks; I still have a wife because we have a strong-enough dodger frame.

Gallows are dandy-ier when supplied with several resting places so that the boom can be dropped off-center of the companionway.

That booms 'wag' around when the boat's at rest even with the mainsheet taut, can be cured with a clip-on line yoke equipped with snap shackles. The diagonal lines calm things down nicely. Similarly a short wire pennant siezed or nicro-pressed to the back stay will do the same thing.

I much prefer not hitting my head on the boom when coming up the companionway. I have a snap shackle on the bottom of the mainsheet block, easy to take it off the traveller and snap it onto something on the toerail. Makes the cockpit much bigger. (Does not work with the boom tent, though; one chooses one's compromises.)

Otherwise, Hirilonde is right on. Experiment with cheap materials and a saw. Things may not be where you think they are what with stretch in the leach and all.
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Quetzalsailor,

I think you raise a good question as to the necesity of a boom gallow. However, there is another view which you may or may not have considered. In addition to function boom gallow also adds more "salt" to certain type of boat designs. Granted boom gallow does not look right on all boats but on something like Passage 24 I think it will look great. Sometimes we do things not just for functional reasons but also for asthetical reasons. Where one draws the balance is often an individual taste and cannot be judged universally.

Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

Great looking boat! Personally, I wouldn't want the gallows in the center of the cockpit but I'm sure you have good reasons for your choice. Part of the clearance issue will depend on the cut of your mainsail and whether the boom peaks up at full hoist. I'd sure be tempted to mock up something from the scrap pile or a piece of PVC pipe to try it out first. Catching the gallows on a tack or gybe would be a big problem that could ruin your boom. You could always make an adjustable model!
Best of luck!
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ganges #363 »

The suggestion for an adjustable boom gallows is a good one for booms that have a fixed gooseneck. The gallows were originally used on gaffed rigged vessels with sliding goosenecks, or boom jaws. The whole boom was raised when the sail was hoisted, lifting it well out of the gallows. A fixed gooseneck doesn't produce that effect.

I had a boom gallows on a gaff schooner and it was indispensable. So nice to drop the main into the gallows, pull the main sheet tight and be instantly secured. I've thought about installing one on our Triton to be able to do that. Because of the Triton's pinched stern, I've been thinking a gallows over the companion way might work. Hinging it so that it swings down towards the bow would get it out of way when sailing.

Having a boom gallows doesn't mean you don't need a topping lift. A lift still comes in handy to take the strain off the main as it's raised, among many other uses.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Thanks for the response folk, I appreciate all your opinions ... the question of whether to have a Gallows or not rests with the individual I suppose. I just think this boat deserves one. I've spoken to many sailors at PT Wooden Boat festivals over the years and they all claim value to having one. None of them wanted rid of it.

... I like traditional styling over modern looking, besides which, I view a gallows as providing some measure of safety. eg: The boom will be held captive and will not be swinging around to clobber me or my first mate ... particularly when at anchor. Also, it will be easier to put a reef in.

... I should mention ... I've made a few changes to the vessel you see in the drawing above ... eg: My Tiller is now "thru" the transom as opposed to "over" ... as well, I'm changing to a Cutter rig as originally designed by the late Tom Gillmer na. for his 'Blue Moon' instead of the modern rig specified by G.Shannon na. when he designed the longer cabin for the Passage 24 ... this high aspect rig simply does not look right on a traditional style hull in my opinion ... it can never be a fast boat whatever the rig.

... Have I previously mentioned the Passage 24 is a modified version of Gillmer's Blue Moon? It is the cabin that is different, the hull remains the same.

... My rig will use a shorter mast at 30' and a longer Boom with an E dimension of 12' 6" ... replacing the 33' stick and shorter boom by Mr. Shannon ... as well, I've moved the mast aft by 8" and added extra length to the Bowsprit and a Boomkin at the transom. The reason for the latter is to move the mainstay further aft, to clear the roach of the main on the longer boom.

... I can imagine some of you shaking your heads and questioning whether or not I've lost my marbles ... I've drawn out the sail plan and the C of E falls exactly where Tom Gillmer planned it to be in relation to the CLR ... so I'm happy with it.

... The posts for the Gallows will mount on top of the side coamings behind the primary winches and will not be a hindrance in the cockpit.. As well, the Gallows will provide additional hand holds, the ability to use a Boom Tent, a mounting spot for other things such as an attachment point for a Bimini or extension to the Dodger ... and if I find it gets in the way ... guess I can always sell it to someone else who think they need one ??? Be sure to watch the classifieds ...

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I've looked at a few turn of the century (1900... grin) sloops that were originally gaffs, turned bermuda rig.

A lot of them have bronze pipe, with threaded couplings the same as one would see in a factory for securing black iron pipe to a concrete floor as a hand rail. Gallows mid way in the cockpit, but they are a lot larger than 25-30 footers we are talking about.

When Pylasteki is back in the water, pre-final deck paint job... i'm planning on rigging together a boom gallow of galvanized pipe and clamps to see where proper position needs to be. I like the idea, as motoring in a rough leftover swell with a boom that swings and flops is annoying... and I'd like to be able to stow it at anchor offset to one side without getting bonked coming out of the cocmpanionway.

I like the idea of having something stout to grab hold right by the cockpit, but on top of the companionway doesn't do it for me... cabin top is much to short to accommodate a gallows and a dinghy, unless the dinghy was short enough to somehow slide under it. I think at that point the boom would have to be so high it'd throw away sailing performance...

I get the sense its a lot easier to rig up with a real long boom, and end of boom sheeting where the angles can never cross. My mainsheet chafed on the life lines practically the whole length from the winch back to the stern pulpit on various points of sail... When I bought her the vinyl was rubbed off the top side of the lifelines!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Yes, bronze pipe is the favoured material but as everything else is 304s.s. I guess I'll go with that ... only because I have enough of it laying around in the shop.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Munster
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Nuala
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by Munster »

If your looking to secure the boom when not under sail and keep it from swinging from side to side, instead of incorporating a gallows, have you given any thought to just mounting a boom crutch? Mounted on the cabin face, offset on either side of the companionway, they are removable when under sail so they don't add any clutter to the cockpit but do a great job of securing the boom when not sailing. I grew up on a boat with a crutch and found it to be a very handy item, especially when anchored in areas where there are lots of wakes. It has the added benefit of making the boom a rigid handhold for bracing oneself against when motoring in any kind of sea.

Jim Sweeney
Tartan 27 #487 "Nuala"
Traverse City, MI
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

The term "boom gallows" should refer to an old worn-out topping lift- or maybe that's a "widow maker".
I always liked the looks of Dan Spurr's boom gallows described in his boat book.
Personally, though, I like the freedom to move in and out of the cockpit without additional vertical barriers imposed by gallow supports. I'd probably feel differently if I was planning long ocean passages.