Porter Cable 7335 Sander

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
falcon
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Porter Cable 7335 Sander

Post by falcon »

There has been extensive discussion on this site extolling the virtues of the Porter- Cable 7335 sander. My kids want to buy me one for my birthday, but seem to only find re-conditioned units advertised on the web. Any experience with the re-conditioned units? Have they come up with a new model, and if so is it a better unit?
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
Drew
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Porter Cable 7335 Sander

Post by Drew »

The model with dust collection is available here.
http://www.toolbarn.com/portercable-97355.html

I believe It is otherwise the same as the 7355. I have the dust collection and have been satisfied. It comes off easily enough if you don't like it.

Drew
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

I don't know much about the rebuilt units.

I bought my new one from here...

http://www.castlewholesalers.com/PORTER ... er-5-.html

I love this tool! The best way I can describe it is like a grinder only much less harsh. My Dewalt Random orbital sander still has it's place for smaller more delicate jobs but the 7335 handles just about all of the tough work.

The only issues I have with it (for that matter I have heard other say the same thing) is that the air from the motor is ejected on one side of the tool that gets in my face occasionally and the on/off switch stick sometimes.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I was recently searching for another one myself, and discovered that the 7335 seems to be being phased out in favor of the new 7345. This is heartbreaking. I go through about one of these every year or so, until something gets quirky and I set it aside for later "repair", at which time I buy another. There just never seems time nor inclination for this when a new $120 tool is only a click away. It might be time to box up my supply of semi-functional ones and ship them off for rehabilitation. I'm knee-deep in the things.

I have not used or seen in person the new tool. Supposedly it's more powerful (4.5 amp vs. 3.7 amp), but I fear that the real change may be they've cheaped out production overseas (whereas the 7335 used to be US-built) and otherwise lowered the value and utility of the tool.

(I should add that I do not know where the 7345 is made; I am guessing based on the way of the world, and the fact that PC's website no longer clearly touts that the product is US-made, as it used to. Et tu, Brute?)

You can still find new 7335 models online if you search. Castle Wholesalers, mentioned above, is the first hit if you use the "shopping" tab on Google. I was thinking of buying a couple before they go away so I ensure having a good tool around until the new model gets a track record, or I have no other choice.

This tool is basically part of my arm now after untold hundreds or thousands of hours of sanding since I bought my first one (newly released) in 1990, and I start having withdrawal symptoms if there isn't one always within easy reach.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
falcon

Post by falcon »

Thank you all for your input. I just ordered a 7335 from tool Crib for $120.
Pete
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Try out the new one. If its not made in the US, it doesn't always mean that the tool is now crappier.

It has more to do with the manufacturer's quality controls. Many people consider Apple computers to be very high quality and they are made in China. That's one example.

In the past, I would say that if its made in China, its crap. Not anymore. Its more to do with the manufacturer. Beginning 3 years ago, certain Chinese wood parts that I order in bulk for resale for my company... has been more high quality than locally made...

In short, I advise anyone who keep thinking about quality of items connected to what country its made in... abandon that mindset (its now mostly obsolete) and focus on WHOs making it, not the country. There are quality Chinese stuff and there are crap. Its equally true for US made items, I'm really unhappy with US made wood dowels of late, they always come warped nowadays...

- Case
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

focus on WHOs making it, not the country.
and there is the rub. There isn't a way to tell who is making the tool this month.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
mobilchuckje
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TOFU
Boat Type: Islander 21

Post by mobilchuckje »

Any word on how the 7345 compares to the 7335?

cheers,
chuck.
georgefmys
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by georgefmys »

I wonder if anyone here has ever used the 6'' random-orbit sander from Fein tools? It has been the standard among repairers in my area for many years. Used together with their vacuum, it's performance far outstrips the Porter-Cable.Of course, it's ridiculously expensive [the pair usually go for about 600-700!] However they have a very strong warranty program,and I can attest to their ability to last for years working in a b oatyard every day all year long. I nterestingly, I read about folks spending time cleaning up, and probably breathing ,sanding dust....that doesn't happen with the Fein set-up, and that is true whether using 60 G on a bottom or 400 G to prep for an LP topcoat. Sorry if sounds like a sales pitch, it's just been a must have tool for me since the first time I demo-ed one almost 20 yrs ago
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

georgefmys wrote:I wonder if anyone here has ever used the 6'' random-orbit sander from Fein tools?
The boatyard I used to work at uses that combo exclusively for bottoms. They have recently switched to using the mesh discs instead of grit as the vacuum function works better and loading is slowed. The mesh discs would not be very good for fairing or serious hard paint removal though.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.