Interdeck or Kiwigrip Non-skid?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tom in Ohio
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Type: Soverel 26 (1976)

Interdeck or Kiwigrip Non-skid?

Post by Tom in Ohio »

I need some help deciding on which non-skid to use.

I just finished replacing the rotten endgrain balsa core in about 50% of my deck. I'll be painting it and applying non-skid later this month - before it gets too cold.

I'm trying to decide between Interdeck and Kiwigrip. These are my considerations:

- I have molded in non-skid currently and I'll have numerous seams where I cut and re-glassed the top laminate of the deck. I'll either have to grind it all down and fair it, or use a non-skid that will cover it up. I know that Interdeck is thin, so it won't conceal anything, and Kiwigrip is very thick, so it might.

- Price per quart is about the same at aprox. $35/qt (Jamestown Dist), but the Kiwigrip is available in gallons at $115. BUT coverage for Interdeck is over 300 sqft/gal while Kiwigrip is 80!!! I estimate my deck area for non-skid at 90-100 sqft.

Has anyone used both of these products and could give me a comparison?

Thanks
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Interdeck or Kiwigrip Non-skid?

Post by Tim »

I've not used Kiwigrip and can't comment on it. I have used Interdeck extensively and like it quite well (though the finish seems to scratch easily).

However, I'd suggest that whatever you use, first grind the old nonskid smooth. No paint will really hide the old pattern, and I think it looks awful and works poorly to paint over the molded pattern--all the more so if you have some areas where you've already sanded because of the repairs. And you'll have to fair those seams no matter what you do.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I saw the guy with the Kiwi Grip at the Miami Boat Show last year. I wouldn't have a problem putting it over old nonskid. It *is* thick like cake frosting. But I think you might want to experiment with it first... it all depends on the texture you roll on with the foam roller. ,
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I think I would want to make it all fair and well-prepared no matter which I used. Why start with a mish-mash of old non-skid, seams, and etc. is what I would be thinking.

Then you can choose the non-skid based on which effect you ultimately prefer.

Rachel
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

I used KiwiGrip on my boat. The application material says you can put it over molded non-skid patterns, BUT the surface has to be clean. In any case, I would certainly fair and prime any repaired areas before top coating, whether with KiwiGrip or some other system.

See: http://sailing.thorpeallen.net/Greyhawk ... index.html (prep and prime)

and: http://sailing.thorpeallen.net/Greyhawk ... index.html (painting)
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Tom in Ohio
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Type: Soverel 26 (1976)

Post by Tom in Ohio »

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll go with the Kiwigrip. I think I'll test it out first on a lazerette cover and see how it covers the molded in non-skid. The pattern is a fairly random looking cross-weave and is not very deep, so it might cover it completely. If not, I don't think it will take more than sanding down the high points.

Again thanks, and I'll try to get some pictures of the results.