Attachment of cabinet to hull liner?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aloha Spirit
Boat Type: Cape Dory 30

Attachment of cabinet to hull liner?

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

I am completing the construction of a cabinet (approx 18" x 20") to go in the galley area, just inside the companionway on my Cape Dory 30. There is a sturdy hull liner where the cabinet is to be located. I have allowed for 10 fasteners (5 at the top and 5 at the bottom) to hold the cabinet in place.

I have purchased some neoprene well nuts. These are essentially neoprene anchors with brass inserts to accept machine screws. The idea is that the machine screw will pull the brass / neoprene in when the screws are tightened, essentially creating a mushroom effect on the back side. I am however not sure if the well nuts have enough grip range. If these fail to work, I am considering the purchase of a threaded rivet tool from McMaster Carr. To save weight, I am not installing a back on the cabinet.

Any thoughts or other suggestions from anyone here on this board?

Thanks,
Chesapeake Bob
Cape Dory 30
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Attachment of cabinet to hull liner?

Post by Rachel »

Thoughts:

1) What's going to be in the cabinet? Marshmallows? Tools? How much weight?

2) Is it something you might conceivably grab for a handhold when under way? I like anything in that category to be strong enough to lunge for and grab without it breaking.

3) Photos....? :D

4) Welcome to the forum!

Rachel
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Rachel,

Small cans of food and condiments will go in the cabinet. I do not see this cabinet serving as a grab handle while going up and down the companionway.

I''try to post some photos.

Thanks,
Chesapeake Bob
Cape Dory 30
sv Aloha Spirit
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

Bob

Have you considered click bond products? I have had good luck with them in the past attaching to fiberglass. http://www.enfasco.com/Frame2.html

Barry
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Chesapeake Bob wrote: I do not see this cabinet serving as a grab handle while going up and down the companionway.
If it can be grabbed, and is in a place where there might be a reason to grab it, it will be grabbed whether you intended for this to happen or not. With this in mind, might it be grabbed for support?

Is the liner fiberglass? Any idea how thick?

I built and installed something similar in the same place on my Renegade. I have no liner. I used 4 long self tapping screws from the cockpit side into the cabinet. I used finish washers and bedding compound. If the cabinet is built accordingly, bolts (machine screws) could be used in a similar manner. Some people would be bothered by the heads and washers visible on the cockpit side, I am not.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Maybe you're talking about attaching it to the liner that makes up the vertical "walls" of the galley unit? It would be great to have photos in order to visualize it - can you post any?

Rachel
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

If it can be grabbed, and is in a place where there might be a reason to grab it, it will be grabbed whether you intended for this to happen or not. With this in mind, might it be grabbed for support?
110% totally agreed on this one!
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Plan A is the threaded rivet system! My rivet gun and 10-32 rivets arrived this week from McMaster Carr. A test I tried on a thin piece of luan plywood looks and feels promising! I will keep you updated and at some point I'll put up photos.

Thanks,

Bob Ohler
Cape Dory 30
sv Aloha Spirit
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Slotted Body Rivet Nuts!

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

To anyone interested...

I drilled and installed ten 10-32 threaded rivets yesterday. I used both the rivets and rivet tool available from McMaster Carr. I cannot tell you how pleased I was with the installation. These rivets can best thought of as a cross between an old fashioned Molly Bolt and a Pop Rivet.

One important point I will make here... The location of the rivets must line-up with the holes in he object you are hanging. I created a template to transfer the hole locations and the installation went perfectly. I used 10-32 x 1.5" stainless steel pan head machine screws to secure the cabinet to the rivets.

It went so well in fact, that even though yesterday was supposed to be a "test-fit," after I hung the cabinet, I decided to leave it up and I will hang the cabinet door with cabinet on the bulkhead.

The cabinet is very snug against the bulkhead / hull liner, and the attachment appears to be very strong.

I would not hesitate to use this system where I need a strong attachment to a surface that has a void behind the surface to which I am fastening to. I am thinking about my chart storage rack project in the quarter berth as the next application for these fasteners.

I'll try to remember my camera next trip to the boat.

Here are the links for both the rivets and the rivet gun, straight from the pages of McMaster Carr. I used 10-32 rivets as shown on page #3240 and the plier style tool #1 as shown on page #3242.

Hope this helps.

Bob O.
Cape Dory 30
sv Aloha Spirit

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3240/=3bxhyb

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3242/=3bxjf2
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Sounds neat, Bob. I'd love to see photos when you get a chance.

Rachel