Bulkheads

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jeffwagnpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Frogman
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

Bulkheads

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hi, I own a Pearson Ariel hull, #286. I have pretty much gutted out everything in the galley. For some reason I just stare at the bulkheads. I want to rip out the old bulkheads and put in new ones. But for the sake of my nervouseness, I just keep staring at them and wondering if I rip them out, does the deck collapse over me and leave me squished and injured or is this something perfectly safe to do? My Ariel sits on a steel cradle and is on a farm, so if it does collapse, no one will know something is wrong or even hear me. I cant replace new bulkheads until the entire inside is cleaned, sanded, grinded, ect, so it would be a while before I replace with new ones. What would you guys do? I am waiting for a canvas garage to arrive, so I cant take out the hardware until I cover with shelter. I dont want rain to seep inside from the spots where the hardware was. This is why I just keep staring at the bulkheads. Depending on your anwer, it would mean that I can tackle this issue until my tent garage arrives. Then there will be plenty to do.

Thanks!
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Re: Bulkheads

Post by Oscar »

Welcome aboard.

You can safely remove the bulkheads. You should even be able to gently walk on deck with them removed. Bulkheads mostly serve to maintain shape and transfer loads while sailing. (And of course to divide the living space).

I'm sure a few others will agree with this.

Now, if you do some searching and reading here, you will see HOW people remove bulkheads, and more importantly how they put new ones back in. There's an art to all that, and a few do's and dont's.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Ok, thanks! I feel confident now. I have completely gutted everything from the v-berth, to the galley, and ripped out the floor. And of course found more issues as I was doing this. Now it is time to get rid of these makeshift bulkheads that were obviously not well replaced before. Thanks alot!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

What exactly is the problem with the old bulkheads? Can you be specific?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hi Tim,

They're rotted at the bottom. Every piece of wood had to go due to the rot. I figure that I can tackle the tear out first. Man, it all had to go. I opened up the floor and theres water in the keel. Rain water that is. I just believed that in order to restore this boat, it all had to be done from scratch, I mean, I have the time and pay to do this, so why not? It's the only way for me to learn how to do this. Plus the prize at the end of this, that is to sail away for good?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

jeffwagnpete wrote:They're rotted at the bottom.
This does not necessarily mean they need a total replacement. Not saying you couldn't or shouldn't, but that you may not have to. There are repair techniques. Mine had rot at the bottom and I chose repair instead of replace. I would bet Tim is asking for clarification, and probably wants more than you supplied so that he can comment on repair vs replace with some kind of meaningful logic.

jeffwagnpete wrote:Plus the prize at the end of this, that is to sail away for good?
Well, doing something completely and well has its rewards, but don't ever think a boat is ever free of work and repairs. :)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hi Dave,

Ahh, man, I could've just repaired? I might need my back repaired after tearing those out. MAN. Well, thats ok, I already ripped them out. I guess I should now ask more specific questions and I need to get a digital camera for photos. Cause, my deck is a nightmare. (I think) and I have no idea how I am going to repair that. The bow is totally squishy and even wet from the inside. This boat is a disaster, but I know it can be fixed. I know there is hope for this boat.

Jeff

Looks forward for the day to set sail.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

This boat is a disaster, but I know it can be fixed. I know there is hope for this boat.
Squishy is bad. You may end up having to do more than is reasonable. You may want to see if you can find someone who knows what they're doing in the area to come out and look at it and tell you what you are up against. There is a point where it really isn't worth it anymore. Of course this point is different for everyone.
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hi Oscar,

I just became numb reading your reply, but, I was thinking as well of having someone come out and look at this and tell me what I'm up against, at least I didn't buy this for much. Willingness and determination is what I have, knowledge is what I will gain from this. In order to have knowledge, I need to be willing and determined.

Jeff

Looks forward for the day to set sail.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

Jeff

I think you will find that basically anything you run into can be fixed. Like Oscar said, the question of whether it is worth it to fix can only be answered by the individual. There is a definite line where the cost of fixing an old boat surpasses the actual market value, but I suspect most everyone on this forum has long since passed that point. If you are doing boat work with the plans to sell it and make a profit, then that line approaches much faster than if you are doing the work for yourself.

The bottom line is, at least from my perspective, if you really want to fix the boat, and you can afford it, there is no reason why you can't. If you are looking for a quick turnaround boat, you may be wise to look elsewhere. But if learning (about boats in general and this boat in particular)and spending the time and resources (both of which will be considerable) is something that you want to do, go for it. I think you will find quite a bit of support here from people who are like-minded and have already accomplished most anything you can run up against. I know I certainly have. Plus, when you find yourself wondering why you have spent so much time and money on something everyone else thinks is crazy, we understand!

Whichever path you choose to travel, good luck!

Ryan
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well said, Ryan.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

There is a definite line where the cost of fixing an old boat surpasses the actual market value, but I suspect most everyone on this forum has long since passed that point.
Most of that pass that point when we decide to buy......Image

Having said that, I've always bought right and fixed smart, so I generally get my money back, I'm just out my (now thousands of hours) labor. But it's been a heck of an education, and I've done some amazing sailing.

Do what you have to do, don't let me discourage you. Just realize that the road can be long, longer than you think.
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Ryan,

That was absolutely well said! I am doing this for reasons that I'm sure all of us on this forum can write movies or books on about our personal lives and whats happend to us. This boat I am going to call my home for quit some time until I build a boat from scratch. This boat is for me and not for sale after being finished. I had something happen to me 9 months ago and the life I had before is not what I want to do anymore. This life of mine is too short to be doing the same thing everyday, i.e working for a mortgage, car, ect, I'm sure you know what I am talking about. I want to spend every dime I have to make a dream come true. So, yes, Friday, I have a professional coming out to tell me what I'm up against, and I will be prepared to take on the challenges of this boat for reasons of a dream and other stuff. I hope this e-mail doesn't sound snooty, you know how e-mail and actually taking face to face is just totally different. I am anspired by all of you who have done this and can tell someone like me some helpful hints and words of encouragment . If its ok, can I reply back to tell what kind of work is needed?

Jeff

Looks forward for the day to set sail
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

Jeff:

Don't get discouraged...I know it is easy to do when you are faced with such an incredibly long work list. I myself am learning the art of fiberglass boat repair, and knew very little heading into my first project. But heh, life is about learning and discovering!

Write down the work that needs to be done, and tackle them one at a time. Writing down the project to-dos will require a thorough inspection of the boat, however - something that every experienced person on this forum will advocate.

Money is another issue...The tools I had to buy, the sand paper, glass, epoxy, on and on....this adds up brother! But like the to-dos, this too can be managed. You have a classic boat there, and I am sure it is worth saving.

Good luck!,

Brian
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

If its ok, can I reply back to tell what kind of work is needed?
Of course.....there's a wealth of knowledge here. You're going to need it.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

Jeff

I understand exactly what you are saying and I see no elitism in the tone of you message. Most of the "warnings" per say that you have read posters write about your upcoming project are just that. A lot of folks here have seen too many boats sent to the scrap yard by owners with great dreams but little realization of the actual quantity of work involved. They become overwhelmed and have to give it up. No one wants that to happen and as long as you realize what you have ahead of you, it shouldn't.

The Froon's list suggestion is the most sound project management advice you will get. Write down EVERYTHING that needs to be done to the boat, prioritize your list and then break it into small sections that you can accomplish during every work session. The list will seem insurmountable at first, but it will keep you focused, and it is a very satisfying feeling to cross something off the list. To paraphrase something Tim has said here before, just keep working and things will get done. Even monotonous, boring, seemingly never ending jobs (stripping the bottom comes to mind!) will eventually be done and you can move on.

Absolutely reply back with what work is needed. It has been said before, but it bears repeating. This list is and ENORMOUS source of information on just about any boat building/repair/refit/restoration subject there is. And more importantly, the people with that information are willing to share it and have the ability to do so in a way that everyone can understand.

Good Luck and we will be waiting to here. BTW, go ahead and take lots of pictures as you progress. It helps with questions and answers, and most everyone here boat project photoholic!!

Ryan

jeffwagnpete wrote:Ryan,

That was absolutely well said! I am doing this for reasons that I'm sure all of us on this forum can write movies or books on about our personal lives and whats happend to us. This boat I am going to call my home for quit some time until I build a boat from scratch. This boat is for me and not for sale after being finished. I had something happen to me 9 months ago and the life I had before is not what I want to do anymore. This life of mine is too short to be doing the same thing everyday, i.e working for a mortgage, car, ect, I'm sure you know what I am talking about. I want to spend every dime I have to make a dream come true. So, yes, Friday, I have a professional coming out to tell me what I'm up against, and I will be prepared to take on the challenges of this boat for reasons of a dream and other stuff. I hope this e-mail doesn't sound snooty, you know how e-mail and actually taking face to face is just totally different. I am anspired by all of you who have done this and can tell someone like me some helpful hints and words of encouragment . If its ok, can I reply back to tell what kind of work is needed?

Jeff

Looks forward for the day to set sail
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Man, that was a relief, the pro came out inspected everything and found the boat to be in really great condition. He said that I didnt have to do half of the things I already did like ripping out everything. I told him, well, at least it will all be new stuff now, he laughed. The deck is a totally easy fix, I thought it was a disaster, but it really isn't. The water in the bilge is suppose to be that way. He said thats where you want water to go and then you pump it out and he showed me where and what the bilge pump is, I had no idea it was even there, it's a hand bilge pump, man, was I excited to see that. Wow! He said I looked into this way too much and just dont be afraid to ask questions and to call, he'll come out anytime if I'm stumped on something. I was like, sweeeeeet.

Jeff

Looks forward to the sanding and grinding phase.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

The water in the bilge is suppose to be that way.
Yes and no.

We all strive to get our boats "dry" so that there is never any water in the bilge. This is impossible in most cases. Water finds it's way into the boat. The trick is to have that happen without doing damage, or getting the bread wet, and then end up in the bilge, where we pump it overboard.

Glad the hull is sound, that makes the future a lot brighter.