Ariel 414 ports paint

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Ariel 414 ports paint

Post by bcooke »

Hey Mike,

I was looking at your non-skid color as a short listed option for my decks later this summer and noticed something I had overlooked before.

I noticed you had painted your deadlight and port frames with a bronze looking paint.

I was just wondering how that came out and whether you were happy with it?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

I used Rustoleum metal primer, then "lavender-gray" (yuck!), then the bronze. I didn't have time to do the proper aluminum paint job with the etching primer, etc. that you're supposed to do. I did spent a LOT of time cleaning up the window frames, because I had to remove a PO's former treatment and was dreaming I might have them powder coated.

In any event, I'm pretty pleased with the results and am planning on doing the rest of the aluminum (non-bronze) hardware that was painted silver. And I'm happy to say I was just at the boat today, and they are holding up nicely. (One more item I don't have to not do this Spring and can cross off my "didn't get to it" list.)

It's probably just me, but I think I prefer the color they had been done when I got the boat. A PO used some sort of shellac or something which unfortunately just started peeling off and was a real mess to remove. But I really liked it when it was holding up...

Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
MikeD

Re: Ariel 414 ports paint

Post by MikeD »

I kept intending to report on how the paint has held up on my deadlight frames, then someone asked about the Rust-oleum topsides paint. Instead of replying there, I figured I'd dredge this up.

As of the end of last season, 2009, I'm at three seasons and still going strong. I am pleasantly surprised and extremely pleased with how well the Rust-oleum has held up! The inner section of my forward opening ports are peeling, probably because that area was much harder to get at and prep properly.

(Disclaimer - this was taken in Oct 2008, but they're still looking good as of Oct 2009.)

It gives me hope that perhaps there are some products out there that won't break the bank to make your boat look decent.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Mike,

No photos of your (cough...cough) "primer" coat color? ;<)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Tim wrote:Mike,

No photos of your (cough...cough) "primer" coat color? ;<)
Well Tim, naturally I assumed everyone had already seen the photos of the undercoat since you meticulously documented the whole process. :)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)