De-Waxing solvent

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

De-Waxing solvent

Post by preserved_killick »

What do you all use for a de-waxing solvent? Are the marine specific dewaxers really any better than just toluene? Any other readily (hardware store) solvents recommended??

-Jeff
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

I just came here to ask the same question, so I figured I'd second the curiosity...
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I just learned xylene is just a 'better' version of tolulene. Something about an extra 'ester bond' (or something like that - my eyes were glazing over at that point) in the chemical composition.

I remember reading something on one of the Awl-grip solvent products about xylene being the main (and possibly only) ingredient. On the other hand, compared to how much you really need the brand name doesn't cost all that much more in the big scheme of things? e.g. when you are applying a thousand dollars of primer and topcoat is a $5 savings worth thinking about?

just my 2c
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I've used Interlux Solvent Wash 202 with good results. I don't have experience with any others though.

Very important is to have a huge supply of clean rags/towels, and to use a fresh surface constantly. At yards they use a sort of "wiping towel" in a box (can't think of the name right now - Handi-something). It's paper of some sort, I'm pretty sure. (Will check and update.)

Rachel
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

Thanks, guys. Britton, my question wasn't really pertaining to Awlgrip or a topsides job...I was just curious about an inexpensive - yet effective - way for dewaxing the bottom, etc.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Update: For pre-painting, some special lint-free terry cloths; if less critical, the disposable "paper towels."

R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Yeah, I was just using Awl-grip as an example. Its probably some of the fussy-est stuff out there.

De-waxing the bottom? You must have one of those go-fast boats.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Although, you are supposed to de-wax if you're staring from gelcoat, even if it's ancient. I might also do it if a previous bottom paint job had poor adhesion, and I wasn't sure it had ever been de-waxed properly.

R.
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

It'd hardly say that! Maybe Ensigns were fast in 1962, but not so much today. Doesn't mean I can't pamper her, though... ;-)

Actually, I had stripped all the old bottom paint this year with all kinds of different strippers and stuff. So I wanted to clean the bottom thoroughly to insure a good clean substrate for painting.

Truth be told, though,...I just washed it pretty good with mineral spirits this afternoon, threw the first coat of bottom paint on, and called it a day.

Oh, and for anyone keeping score of paint stripper effectiveness...I'd declare good old PeelAway 1 the unanimous winner over both Soy-Strip and Aquastrip. Note that this was NOT PeelAway Marine...just the inexpensive homeowner stuff from HomeDepot. This goes against the results observed in the Practical Sailor evaluation.

It wasn't even a contest, really. In 50-60° weather, PeelAway worked pretty well (90+ percent removal), Aqua-Strip was so-so (50-75%), and Soy-Strip was bottom of the pack (<50%, and the messiest to work with).

Evidently all of these chemicals are less effective in cool weather. In the northeast, we can't be waiting around for 70° weather to do all our grunt work. That's when we *sail* our boats! The companies should consider that when formulating the product. A 40-70° optimized formulation would make good sense.

All required subsequent sanding and scraping, however, so there's no miracle product out there. I really did not enjoy this job at all.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

Rachel - Exactly. That's why I was asking. My old bottom paint was patchy, with pieces randomly chunking off. There was also probably 40+ years on there, so I can't entirely blame it on a waxy bottom. Nevertheless, now that I'm starting from a wonderful new baseline again, I wanted to follow best practices.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
preserved_killick
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by preserved_killick »

To answer my own question, a week later..

I ended up using a product called Prepsol made by DuPont. It is specifically made to remove waxes & other containments before painting. This option appealed to me because 1. It gets very good reviews and is widely known in the auto painting world. 2. Availability, I bought a gallon for $24 at a local auto parts store.

I actually did two wipe downs. First with the Prepsol, then another with denatured alcohol. I was using the new Yacht Primer from System Three and wanted to be sure the prepsol didn't leave any residual oils that weren't compatible with my water based primer.

It seemed to work fine, and didn't smell too bad. I'll report back if all my new paint falls off.
feetup

Post by feetup »

While not an answer to the OP I thought this might be of interest.

Of almost all common solvents out there, only acetone and alcohol do not contain some benzine. Lacquer thinners, toluene, xylene, mineral spirits, and good old paint thinner all contain at least a modicum of benzine.
Benzine is proven to be carcinogenic, through contact with skin. Then there is MEK, but that is another story
I lost a much loved relative to cancer directly caused by skin contact with solvents.
The moral;
It doesn't matter what solvents you use, wear nitrile gloves, and avoid breathing the vapours. We restore these old boats to breath the air we sail through, not to pass them on to someone else in the estate sale.

Tim J
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

preserved_killick wrote:I'll report back if all my new paint falls off.
Better yet, "report back" with pictures of your paint job!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Virtually all paint strippers contain wax to slow the evaporation of the solvents used to break down the bonds in the paint you are removing, so anytime you use stripper, it should be wiped with a solvent. The instructions usually call for a wipe with mineral spirits or something similar, so I'm you'll be fine.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380