Traditional bronze hand pump in galley (plumbing question)

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scout

Traditional bronze hand pump in galley (plumbing question)

Post by Scout »

Someone has given me one, it's beautiful. Could I use this in lieu of a faucet and pump the water through using the foot pump? (I do not have hot water).
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

I don't see why not. You may have to remove the foot valve in the pump, essentially turning it into a spout, but the foot pump might just have the pressure available to push past the valve. If you can overpower the valves, you could have a double system where you could suck through a check valve and bypass the foot pump, giving you a hand pump or push through the hand pump valve with the foot pump.
I must admit a little jealousy. Sounds beautiful. Kind of Slocum "Spray" or early Herishoff.

Feetup
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Neat idea! I've always liked the look of those pumps, although I hate actually using them, and prefer foot pumps. You might have a great combination there.

Rachel
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by BALANCE »

Feetup, no need to be jealous, just get one! The tone you set in your post though is exactly why it was given to me. They knew of my love for all things old and salty.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

There is an old brass galley pump on ebay right now that is beautiful. The spigot design doesn't seem practical though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-BRASS-WOOD- ... dZViewItem
The board does not cut itself short!
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

My, that is beautiful. Mine, as it turns out, is not 'old' just old fashioned. It's the fynspray with the lever. I'm installing it this weekend!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Ah, it's the little things in life....

Despite spending two days on my side yanking out old caulk under the caprail, recaulking a hatch cover which was reminiscent of making mud pies (I was a little heavy handed), going to bed exhausted and discovering it was wet. There's more but I won't bore you.

Here is the source of some smiles:

S/V BALANCE
Westsail32