Strong Track System

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Strong Track System

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I'm eager to learn more about the Strong Track System. I see from Tim's Glissando site that the installation is fairly straightforward, but I'm curious about the modifications required to retrofit an old sail to the system, or, alternatively, required elements when having a new sail constructed. Is it a full-batten set up? Is the hardware more prone to chafe than traditional cruising sails? Drawbacks (other than price)?

I appreciate all comments and insight.

Thanks in advance,

David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Buy it. Seriously--just buy it.

It's probably most cost-effective to incorporate the sail hardware into a brand-new sail, but not required. While you do need to change the slugs and install the supplied hardware that comes with the track, it's not a big deal to retrofit either--but if you think you need or want a new sail, then do it in conjunction with the Strong Track, as this will save time and money in the long run.

I should have listened to my sailmaker and done the Strong Track immediately rather than waited a few years, after which I had to retrofit the sail. Don't let this happen to you.

I am sure others in the know can give you the details on the exact sail work needed; I hired mine out, so don't have direct experience with that part of it.

Full battens are not a requirement.

Just buy it. It's awesome and far less expensive than other manufacturers' systems.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David VanDenburgh

Tim wrote:Buy it. Seriously--just buy it.
That seems to be the consensus. I have yet to come across a negative experience with the system.

I've got a couple questions about a photo from your site: I assume I'm looking at the forward end of round full-length battens? If one were to go with traditional battens, would the extent of the installation be the track and the appropriate slides - without the fancy batten receptacle - attached to the luff?

Thanks,

David
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

On this lovely day last October I said "ok, let's set the main" as we passed the last channelmarker.

Britton scoffed. "Going downwind?"

I smirked. Strong track.

Buy it. Seriously, just buy it.
Tim

Post by Tim »

David VanDenburgh wrote:I've got a couple questions about a photo from your site: I assume I'm looking at the forward end of round full-length battens? If one were to go with traditional battens, would the extent of the installation be the track and the appropriate slides - without the fancy batten receptacle - attached to the luff?

Yes, those larger black units are the forward end of round full-length battens. All full battens require some sort of similar thing at the luff of the sail to support the pressure from the battens--Strong Track or otherwise.

Without full battens, I suspect that all you'd need to add were the supplied Strong Track slugs, which would be a breeze for someone like you, with your recent sailmaking prowess.
David VanDenburgh

Strong Track

Ah, yes, a picture's worth a thousand words. This is the one. I see, in addition to "Figment," how the system works without full-length battens. Excellent.
Tim wrote:
Without full battens, I suspect that all you'd need to add were the supplied Strong Track slugs, which would be a breeze for someone like you, with your recent sailmaking prowess.
I wouldn't call what I've learned expertise, but hopefully I'll acquire at least modest skills.

Thanks.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

David - As a sail maker I agree with the input that has already been made about the Strong Track System. It is a great system! Good Sailing, Brian
Last edited by jollyboat on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

I'm very intrigued...
Whats an average cost for a strong track system?
About a grand (1 boat unit)?
More? Less?
Zachary
Adams, MA
Case

Post by Case »

Fusto - according to Rigging Only, the Strong Track System costs $ 21.45 per foot. So, basically... go and find out the "P" of your rig and multiply that by $ 21.45 and you get the price before shipping charges.

The price might be better at other places but haven't checked so far. The Strong Track system is pretty cheap and the fact that the whole track is in one piece makes me like it lots better than those piecemeal aluminum track systems. Any potential hang ups is eliminated.

- Case
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

Well my "P" is 37.6 ft so thats uh...
...right around $800.
Wow, thats super reasonable!
Does that include all the giblets needed?
If so, I'd say they've got the "fancy" batt slide/car systems beat.
Zachary
Adams, MA
Tim

Post by Tim »

fusto wrote:Well my "P" is 37.6 ft so thats uh...
...right around $800.
Wow, thats super reasonable!
Does that include all the giblets needed?
If so, I'd say they've got the "fancy" batt slide/car systems beat.
That includes everything you need.

It's an excellent system. Just buy it. :<)