Tohatsu Vs. Honda

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Tohatsu Vs. Honda

Post by Tony »

Tim, or anyone else who has experience with tohatsu engines, how do they stack up against honda, apples to apples? I've decided to go with an outboard in a well instead of another inboard engine, and am now doing outboard research.

Thanks!
Tony
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Do you mean Tohatsu 4-stroke, which would be comparable to Honda, or a regular 2-smoke (Oops, I mean stroke)? I don't have any experience with Tohatsu 4-strokes; the 3.5hp I have is a 2-stroke. I have some experience with a Suzuki 4-stroke (60hp) that is very smooth and quiet.

It's hard to beat any 4-stroke outboard for smoothness, quietness, etc. The larger Hondas are nice, though I was definitely UNimpressed with the tiny Honda 2hp 4-stroke model, which features one of the more irritating sounds I have ever heard--worse even than a regular outboard somehow. The noise is the reason I went Tohatsu for my dinghy motor; it still makes an annoying noise, but it's one that I am used to and is somehow easier on the ears than the sound of the Honda, which I can't describe except to say that I find it unacceptable.

My gut says go with the Honda for whatever size you're considering (9.9?), but I think you should definitely research the other options as well.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

I was indeed referring to 4-strokes. I've just begun doing research on it, this is just a part of it. I was thinking you'd gotten a 4 stroke for your dinghy.

Thanks,
Tony
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

My inlaws have a Honda 9.9 on their rigid-bottom inflatable and I have used it numerous times. Very nice engine, imo. Relatively quite and smooth. Seems reliable too. Second hand info, of course, but there you have it!