Spinnaker Pole Stowage: Inboard or Outboard?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).

on-deck spinnaker pole stowage: inboard or outboard

outboard just inside of lifeline stanchions
61%
inboard next to the house
30%
get rid of the pole, you'll never use it...
9%

Total votes: 23

catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Spinnaker Pole Stowage: Inboard or Outboard?

Post by catamount »

I want to do as much hole drilling and filling as I can before painting the decks, so now I'm trying to decide where to stow my spinnaker pole.

When I bought the boat, the working end of the pole was on a chock right behind the headstay, and the mast end on a chock mounted to the side of the cabin house. You can see it in the picture below. This was an inboard stowage position that I'ld never seen before (usually I've seen poles stowed along the rail just inside the lifeline stanchions).

I guess it had the advantages of minimizing how far one had to move the pole when setting it up, and of keeping the poles weight closer to the center of the boat. It also keeps the side decks free of obstacles, until you get up to the bow, at which point it becomes something to hang onto! The one big problem with the arrangement was that it made access to the bow cleat very difficult (one had to release the pole from the forward chock in order to get to the cleat).

But now I'm adding an anchor roller assembly and a bigger cleat, so stuffing the end of the pole right up behind the headstay doesn't work any more.

But the inboard stowage position still intrigues me. So what would you do? (In both cases, the forward end of the pole would be in about the position shown above)

This: Inboard

Or this: Outboard

Thanks,

Tim A.
Last edited by catamount on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I voted for outboard storage. Unless you're seriously racing, and only racing, I think it makes for a cleaner and better passage to the foredeck. The inboard storage makes a lot of sense for a hardcore racing setup (I've frequently seen this on serious race boats), but for occasional use I think it seems like it's best stowed further outboard.

This assumes, of course, that you plan to use a "real" spinnaker for which the pole is intended.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

As a member of the "Rail Rider's Union" this piece of USDA Rail Meat would very much appreciate the inboard mount. The owner of one of the boats that I race on is 70 years old so he no longer races spin class. Instead, he keeps his pole on the port side and on the starboard side is the longest pole he can legally use as a whisker pole (over 14' on a 30 foot boat). That way he can use the 10 foot spin pole as a whisker or the 14 footer depending on the conditions. Sitting on the 14' whisker pole for the whole back side of Fishers island has my posterior looking like a window pane. Plus, as a trip hazard, I would rather trip inboard than outboard.

JMHO
Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I vote outboard. This pole shouldn't reach aft far enough to become an obstacle for the railmeat.

While, as a adjunct member of the Foredeck Union, I very much appreciate your thought that the inboard stowage gives something to hang onto, it only goes halfway. From what I can see in your first pic, your pole car track goes pretty low on the mast. From this, I infer that the "racing" position of the pole is that it's down on the foredeck with the mast-end engaged in the car. THIS gives the foredeck crew something to hang onto (or sit astride with both hands free for another task) in entertaining conditions.

When not so rigged, the pole should be stowed out on the rail to leave the foredeck clear. I don't really see it as a trip hazard when it's almost at the toerail.
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

I voted outboard as well. I try not to go forward very often - in fact, if there is crew, they sometimes insist I keep the hell out of the way.

But when I'm single handing, or otherwise have occasion to go forward, the inboard position looks like just another obstacle up there. And I'm not always very good with obstacles on the foredeck.
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Inboard, that's a great setup, keeps the side deck clear. And I'd snug it up even more to the forestay, like it was before. Cleans up the foredeck and I think it's more important to be able to take a wide stance and brace yourself - i.e. put the obstacle in the middle, where you step either side of it, rather than narrowing the space available.

Gives you room to put your feet, in other words.

That would mean double bow cleats, P&S, which I think every boat should have anyway.

One bow cleat is a complete pain, there are too many things it has to do (e.g. you have to double your mooring/anchor lines on top of it). I think somebody puzzled it out just right on your inboard setup, and you'll thank him for it.

Two cents worth, anyway - inboard or outboard, more cleats would be an improvement, I would think?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Lloyd
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

I voted for the outboard storage of the pole (while not racing). On a boat I raced on while we were puttering around the pole would be in both chocks outboard. But in race mode the forward end would be left in the chock and the aft end would be moved to be inside of the stays unchocked. It would sit there nicely and when it came time to set it you would unhook the forward end then just lift the aft end to the mast hook. You didn't have to work it forward around the stays. Also the forward chock was set so that this could be done on both sides. Things you do not want to have to do is fight to work a pole; 1- out from under the jib, 2- forward around the stays and 3- UPHILL.

Thoughts from a worn out fordeck guy.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

If you aren't racing I would think about mounting it on the mast. I have always wanted to try this on my boat but haven't done it as yet. It always seems that a pole is in the way on deck. I have seen a couple of boats with there poles on the mast and it always intrigued me. I have no idea how the setup works or if it is a good idea. It just seemed a good way to free up deck space.

Brock
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Thanks for the comments so far. One thing I should perhaps have clarified is the intended use of the boat. We probably won't be doing a lot of short-course buoy racing, but may be doing some longer distance racing, perhaps shorthanded. And we'll be doing more cruising and passage-making than racing, anyway. So facilitating quick sets and drops when rounding marks is not a priority, and we probably won't have so many crew hiking out that they have to sit so far forward that they'll be sitting on the pole (if outboard). Rather, having a fair lead for anchor rode, mooring pennants, and docklines, and having quick access to the bow cleat(s) IS important.

Duncan raises a good point about having more than one bow cleat. So what about three bow cleats?

For one possibility, I would leave the 4-bolt 10-inch cleat in the middle where shown, and put a 2-bolt 8-inch cleat (the original equipment) out on the either side, right on the rail, somewhere a bit aft of the skene chocks. Actually, these would be in lieu of the slotted toerail, which I would cut short. The center cleat would be used for anchor rodes, mooring pennants, and forward dock lines, while the side cleats could be used for breast lines or spring lines.

A couple of other things to note: (1) The forward supports for the bow pulpit come down just inside the skene chocks. They partially block the channels of the anchor rollers, but there is still plenty of room for the anchor shank, chain, and rode to pass. Unfortunately, there is not enough room for a pole to pass through one of the channels for use as a sprit. (2) The holes in the deck at the bottom center of the picture, aft of the cleat, are for a padeye that will support an inner forestay, and marks the forward end of a center track.

My bow is so narrow and pointy, there's just not a lot of room up there!

FWIW, the deck is glued and screwed over an inward hull flange, fiberglassed over on the inside, and then bolted together on 4" centers with the 1/4" machine screws that fasten the slotted aluminum toerail. Many, but not all, of the screws were removed when the toerail was bolted on. The bolts for the skene chocks and side cleats would substitute for the toerail bolts in holding the deck onto the hull in this area.

With respect to the spinnaker pole placement, keep in mind that the chainplates and shrouds are inboard, so the inboard pole position leaves the most room for passing the rigging, although I agree that it makes foot placement trickier on the foredeck. Here I've rigged some lines to simulate the shrouds:

To really make the inboard placement work well, I think I need to move the forward chock inboard, until the pole just passes the deck hatch:

Of course up at the bow this makes things a bit tight. I can move the big cleat forward a bit, and upgrading to new-design deck chocks that appear to have a smaller footprint than my old chocks, might help too. With this inboard placement, I can't move the pole any further aft without interfering with the genoa tracks...

As an alternative for the outboard placement, I might be able to skooch the pole forward enough, and perhaps move the stanchion aft a bit, so that I could mount a togglepin directly to the stanchion to hold the socket end of the pole, doing away with the after deck chock, and moving the pole a bit further outboard (at least at the aft end), thus leaving the side deck more open for passage. A problem with this would be lining the pole up to get it on the pin, without the side walls of the chock. Also, skooching the pole forward would interfere with the side bow cleat on the port side....

As for storing the pole up against the mast, that would certainly be convenient. The drawbacks are the increased weight and windage aloft, which is of some concern to me. In addition, Forespar strongly recommends storing the pole on deck in heavy weather...
Last edited by catamount on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I'd vote "Outboard". On my San Juan 24 it was mounted up the face of the mast, and was installed by a PO. This made it very easy to deploy, and it never got in the way, or rattled, or anything untoward.
Below is a picture of it mounted. Sorry about the snow ;-)

Here's a detail photo of the bottom:

and the top, where there was a small piece of rigging wire nicopressed onto the baby stay. It could also be attached to a loop on the mast
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
pjesus
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Jet Lag
Boat Type: 1982 B-Jet

Re: Spinnaker Pole Stowage: Inboard or Outboard?

Post by pjesus »

I voted inboard because it looks like it's much neater, especially given the size of the pole.
I have mine kinda like that and doesn't get in the way. Admittedly, it's a small pole.