Transducer/knot meter

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Transducer/knot meter

Post by windrose »

Yo Tim

I am growing suspicious about the areas around the transducer and knot meter.... they look like they are wet or greasy. They should not be either wet or greasy. I'm thinking of coring them both out. Can I send you an e mail photo... to core them out will open up a 6" hole where the knot meter is and about the same where the transducer is.... I will need the help of this forum to undertake this project. Regards. Ang
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Feel free to send me photos at tlackey@triton381.com.

What you're saying is the hull around these two fittings appears stained with either water or oily residue? Is that the crux of it? It will probably be clear in your photo, so send it along. (I can post it here also, for others to see.)

Forgive me for forgetting, but do you have a Triton, or another boat? Where are these fittings located? Is your bilge dark, greasy, and oily? My first guess is that the sealant around the fittings is at least partially compromised, so the oily gunk from inside the boat tends to slowly leach out and spread by capillary action along the bottom. If this is the case, there's certainly no need for the extreme cutouts you're proposing--removal of the old fittings, thorough cleaning of surrounding areas, and rebedding should take care of it.

But I don't really have enough info yet to start a response with my own suggestions and opinions, so I look forward to hearing more, either by email or here on the forum.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Tim, it is a Triton. Hull number 215 (1963, east coast version). I am working on the ceiling boards in the v berth today and will take a photo. We are waiting on a wintery mix so I have moved back inside
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay