"Fisherman" Sail

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

"Fisherman" Sail

Post by Tony »

Ok, time for another question.

Since I'm stuck until monday waiting for Tacoma screw to open so I can get my bronze bolts for the strut (at about $2 less each than online) I find my mind wandering to our rig. We have a Ketch rig, and I've seen other ketches with a sail I've heard called a "fisherman", that hangs between the two masts above the leach of the main. It's kind of trapezoidal in shape from what I've seen. Have any of you any experience with this type of sail, and if so, what kind of performance benefit do you get from it. Also, how would one draw up a pattern for this kind of sail if one were planning to build it oneself eventually? How is the sail rigged?

Fair Winds,
Tony
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

I've recently obtained electronic copies of the original design, and I see that this sail is called a "mizzen staysail." I have the original measurements on the design, but they are just the outside dimensions. How do I figure out how much "belly" there should be in the sail?

Tony
Tony
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Hi, Tony--
You might do well to give a call to Jim Grant at Sailrite... Jim is a very gifted designer (he literally "wrote the book") and is very familiar with less-mainstream sails such as you are looking at doing. Very nice and helpful fellow as well!
Best,
Dave