Re-facing a bulkhead compass.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Re-facing a bulkhead compass.

Post by grampianman »

I have a Saturn compass in a ball-shaped housing that has scratches over its face. Is there any way to reduce these scratches? A rubbing compound, perhaps? The scratches were caused by the light casing which normally is vertical, but can be moved 90 degrees to allow the light to shine on the compass card horizontally. The casing was not securely fastened and so the out-of-roundness caused the scratches. The compass is accurate and is fine, other than for the scratches. I'd prefer not to throw it out.

Cheers,
Ian
Grampian 23, Wing and a Prayer
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

You might try using Mequiar's #17 and #19, "Clear Plastic Cleaner" and "Clear Plastic Polish", in conjunction with a LOT of elbow grease and a VERY soft, clean cotton rag (or 2 or 3...cotton flannel works well if laundered first.) A trip to the Autobody Supply house will net you the gookum-pucky.
Best,
Dave
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Toothpaste is rumored to do an excellent job on fine scratches in plastics. I imagine it should be an "old-fashioned" toothpaste, like original Colgate or Crest, and not one of the new ones like gels or baking soda.

I've never tried it. Sounds like a job for Mythbusters
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Getting scratches out.

Post by grampianman »

I finally got around to trying Brasso on the compass face and it works! Two weeks ago I had some time to play so tried this. I've only attacked the compass face once, so am waiting to ascertain whether the suspension liquid has filled the scratches and voids, or whether the fine abrasive actually did something to the face. Right now, though, it is one hundred percent better and I'm thrilled. It looked just fine on Christmas and New Year's as we sailed along on the river.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Ian
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

grampianman wrote:It looked just fine on Christmas and New Year's as we sailed along on the river.
Oh sure. Rub it in, why dontcha? :<)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating