Cheapy Core Mat???

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Dave, 397

Cheapy Core Mat???

Post by Dave, 397 »

Well, you all get a laugh on me today...
But I gotta toss this one out anyway!

It strikes me that coremat is really just a non-structural bulking/stiffening material in the first place, right? "Non-Woven Polyester Fabric". Unhuh. Hmmm....

Those little quilty dots in it kept reminding me of something until I watched the yard man cleaning up some slob's spilled oil. DOH?????
Looks a lot like those oil absorbent pads, which are of course some sort of magical cotton/paper blend. Now, I realize it's paper--but I also realize it's going to be saturated with resin, at which point the paper fiber really just made a matrix for the resin to lock into anyhow--so why not?

I want to add some stiffening ribs inside my decks at a few points, but I didn't want the weight of all the 'glass I'd have to lay in. Coremat came to mind, but it of course costs money and to make it worse no one in town sells it! Since the coremat has to be laminated in between layers of 'glass material for structural value anyway...

I know this sounds odd...maybe not. But--a Paper deck reinforcement?

Gleefully awaiting your reflections<G>

Dave
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The first thing that comes to mind is a potential compatibility issue with the resin, but that's just kneejerk. I think that this is just wacky enough to work, but also wacky enough that you need to really test it before you actually do anything to the boat.

Build a little mockup, then try to break it. Then boil it. then try to break it. Then freeze it. then try to break it. This time, do whatever you gotta do to break it. Drive a car over it if you must, but then once you've broken it, you'll be able to see HOW it failed, and determine if that's going to matter in your application.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Dave,

As long as you can saturate the material, and it sets up hard, I see no reason not to use it. After all, it's only a bulker, not a structural reinforcement. Coremat has no strength either--as you know, it's designed only to thicken the laminate at slight weight and lower cost.

Give it a try in a small sample. If you like it, then go forward.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Dave, 397

Bellingham Herald Newspaper Headline:

Post by Dave, 397 »

Service Station and Restaurant Owners to Police Chief:

Toilet Paper Theft Ring Must Be Broken!
Kaynee30

stiffening ribs

Post by Kaynee30 »

Dave,
Don Casey (I think) illustrates how to use lightweight materials, like cardboard folded into a "V" shape along its' length, as forming material for interior stiffining ribs. The rigidity comes from the structural shape of the couple layers of glass tabbing that cover the form. I don't think you can get lighter than that.
Jeff
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

I can just see it now, some kid reads this thread, and in the dark of night under a leaky tarp in the back corner of a dirty old boatyard he goes to work re-coring the decks of a rotten old Santana or something using all the TP, paper towels and MickeyD napkins he can steal!

Mary notes that Mickeys do always give you a stack of napkins to go with a ridiculously small order like a single mcMuffin...just in case you pulverize the McMuffin all over thre entire interior of the car, you'll have enough napkins in the bag to clean it up.

Kid and buddies steal full barrels of poly resin from behind boat plant, wheel it to the yard on their skateboards...hey! we need more core! Let's go to McDonald's! I'll get the fries, you go, uh, use the bathroom! LOL!

Dave