Two Bitt Bollard, Staghorn/Inclined Mooring Cleat

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
valkyrie
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Two Bitt Bollard, Staghorn/Inclined Mooring Cleat

Post by valkyrie »

I've heard it been called many things but after two weeks of searching on the internet I still can not seem to locate one. Does anyone have any idea where I can find a Two Bitt Bollard (like the one pictured in the background of the picture below).

I am refitting a Hardin 45 and need to replace the one that it came with (because it has a crack), and am getting to the point where I think it may be easier to try and have someone local make it (but I'm not sure I want to trust someone who hasn't made one before).

Just a shot in the dark but... thanks!

dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

You might try contacting these people: shoellhorn-albrecht. They have a ton of mooring stuff, including a bunch of "double mooring bitts" which have no pictures, but may or may not be what you are looking for.

Note: these people deal primarily in military and commercial items, but it still might be worth contacting them...
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Hey, Valkyrie--
I may be able to help with this...can you give me some dimensions of the part you want?
Best,
Dave
valkyrie
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Dimensions

Post by valkyrie »

Hi Dave, 397,
Thanks for any help you can give me. Ok here are the dimensions of the existing (cracked) one that I have...

The Base:
8" Long X 4" Wide X 5/16 Thick
It has 1/2" threaded bolt holes through the bottom extending 1" into the pipes.

The Pipes:
1 1/2" Diam X 3 1/2" Tall
They have about a 20 Degree rake (I'm guessing) and are 1" from the edge. I'm not sure how thick the walls are.

The Teardrop Tops:
Each top is 3 3/4" Long X 2 3/4" Wide X 5/16 Thick
From end to end they extend to a total length of 10 1/2" extending 1/2" over the edge of the pipes.

I think that just about does it. Let me know if there are any dimensions I forgot! Thanks!
Ben
Last edited by valkyrie on Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

No strain...
I'll go dig in a guy's pile this weekend where I may have seen one of these.
Dave
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Flipping through a magazine a moment ago, I ran across an advertisement that pictured exactly the sort of inclined bollard you are looking for.

www.colemarine.com

Check it out. They may have what you need.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Sorry to say, I came up winchester (trans>-"empty")
Dave
valkyrie
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by valkyrie »

It looks like Colemarine is going to be the lifesaver for this one. They import oval and square base double bitt bollards from Taiwan (the smallest being an 8" base). Even though it will take 4 weeks to get here at least it is on it's way!

Thanks Tim!

Now on to drilling chainplates holes...