Marina Storage/hauling prices...

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
BillB

Marina Storage/hauling prices...

Post by BillB »

Greetings all,
First time poster here...
Hopefully, by next summer, my brother and I plan to purchase a sailboat. We powerboat (w/trailer) right now.
We want to do some research ahead of time on costs on all of this (of course)
Right now I am wondering what "Ball Park" figures might be on the storage and hauling end of things. I need some sort of baseline to work with as I make phone calls etc.
Heres a basic scenario of what we might have:

Fiberglass Sailboat (25 - 30 ft)
Storage outside (on stands)
Hauling out of the water
Putting it in the water
Stepping/unstepping mast
Probably storing it October thru April or May
Would like to be able to work on the boat ourselves (power prices?)

I live in Bangor, he lives in Waterville..We do not feel any drive for us will be out of the question. We work all around Maine, anything between Camden and Portland would suit us. We do have housing available in Cape Elizabeth for long weekends if we want to stay and work on the boat in a yard.

We don't even have a boat (at least not a sailboat this size) yet, but, it's time to get a clue!

I'm sure we will have many questions upcoming but looking at some of the rate sheets, I just see things like 27.00 dollars per foot. Whats that mean, per month? the season? a standard season, of how long?

You can see I'm green...
What questions should we ask, what should we be weary of?
Hope someone can give some insite as to the road we wish to travel...

Thanks for your time..

Bill
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Here are some prices for 2003 at a yard in the Portland, ME area that you can use for comparison. I would expect that these prices are typical for the area, though some local yards are undoubtedly higher, while others are lower.

Some of the yards down the coast (Camden, SW Harbor and the like) can be very hoity-toity and might cost even more than this. Other yards are very podunk and will charge less.

Typically, storage charges include haul, powerwash, and launch. This is something to ask about, since not all yards charge in the same manner. Many yards charge something like $15 or $20 per season per jackstand, but other yards include this in the overall price. Ask, ask, ask. Know exactly what is included at whatever yard you choose, and avoid nasty billing surprises.

This particular yard also includes mast unstepping and restepping in the storage fee, so it's one stop shopping.

Winter storage (Including haul, wash, launch, unstepping and restepping): $5.00/sq ft. (per season). Multiply your length by beam for the square footage. This is a typical way to charge for storage. Some yards charge by the linear foot. Only by multiplying and adding up the various costs can you truly compare yards.

Mast storage: $200 (This seems to not be included in the winter storage fee above, though it's unclear from the sheet I have)

Electricity is usually included, though boatyard power is notiriously inadequate and sporadic.

Any chance you can bring the boat home? Around here, you'll pay about $100-$150 for mast unstepping or restepping, and starting at about $150 to haul your boat on a ramp and bring it to your house for storage. (Hydraulic trailer). Some haulers charge a mileage fee, others a flat rate. This almost always ends up significantely less expensive (not to mention convenient) than yard storage.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Commanderpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Commanderpete »

I would figure on spending $1,500-$2,000+ per year to keep a boat that size, just on routine costs. Repairs and improvements can drive the cost way up, even doing your own work.

Prices around me (Long Island, New York) average $30-$32 per foot to haul, powerwash, store for the winter and relaunch.

Then you have to pay for summer dockage or mooring.

Prices to unstep, store and re-step the mast vary widely, I usually see $11-$13 per foot (of mast). You don't have to unstep the mast every year unless the yard insists on it or you're fastidious.

A good "starter" boat would be about 22-24 feet long and come with a trailer for winter storage. Of course, if we were sensible, we wouldn't own a boat.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Tim,
Thanks much for the quick reply!
Let's make sure I'm on the right page here:
--------------------------------------------------
(Using a Triton as an example):

LOA(28ft) x Beam(8.3) = 232.4 sq. ft.

232.4 x 5.0 = $1162 (includes Haulout, Wash, Launch, Unstep/Restep)

Plus: $200.00 for storage/handling of mast

Total $1362.00
Using Info I have on a Marina up the river here in Bangor/Brewer:

LOA(28ft) x $27.00(per linear ft.) = 756.00 (includes Haulout, Launch and Stands ((outside)

Step/Unstep Mast = Hourly Rate (the yard labor rate is shown at $30.00)
Don't know how long this takes (I'll throw in $60.00)

Handling Masts/storage $30.00

Pressure wash $45.00 minimum

This adds up to $891.00

*I'm trying to get hold of the Marina to check these figures!

------------------------------------------------------

Now, on bringing it home....

I would like to bring it home in the winter. I do have a large clear tarred area that would be perfect (well, in my own eyes anyway..) it's about 35-40 ft. long and about 25 feet wide. Plus all my tools and power are right here.

You say it's 100-150 dollars to haul it out on the truck? and then a flat rate or mileage charge per mile to the house...

I live about 6-7 miles from the Marina.
(any clue as to Ball Park on that?)

This means I'd still have to pay to step/restep each year.

Does the Hydraulic truck actually do the haulout and launch or does the marina "place it" on the truck when it arrives...

I take my step/restep price, add it to base fee on trucking, add in the mileage fee, and I should have it?

Hope this is understandable as I have presented it...

Thanks again for your time...

Bill
BillB

Post by BillB »

Commanderpete,
Thanks for the added input. As for size, we both feel we would want at least 25-30 feet. There would probably be a minimum of four people on the boat at a time and we plan on doing as much overnight camping and exploring of our local areas as we can (three and four day trips). You are correct in the fact the price of owning/upkeep jumps considerably when we move off a trailor boat but, we are making all attemps to prepare our heads and wallets for it. We are not rich by any means, but doing ones homework should help. It's funny, a person can find all sorts of info on Marine Heads and the best Epoxy to use, but when it comes to storage and hauling etc., it is very localized and seems like a grey area.....at least with Mechanical Labor I feel good about doing it, Having to pay others always bothers me, but, I can't haul it out by myself....

Thanks...

Bill
Tim

Post by Tim »

Bill,

If you're that close to the marina (do they have a launching ramp? Or is there a town landing nearby?), I think you should consider having the boat trucked to your paved area. My hauler charges me $130 to bring the boat 4 miles to the launching ramp, launches or hauls the boat on the trailer, and I then have to have the mast stepped or unstepped (usually around $150 each time).

Plus, you need to either buy or rent jackstands (rent is usually $15 or $20 each, but you can buy the stands new for about $75 each, sometimes less).

So let's see. That's $130X2, plus $150X2 for a total of $560 to haul, launch, transport, step, unstep, and store my boat at home. I purchased the stands a number of years ago for $60 apiece (5 total). My guy charges no mileage--just a flat rate depending on where he's going. But you're looking at only 6 or 7 miles anyway, so no big deal.

You cannot beat the convenience of having the boat at home if you have the space. In my mind, that's a no-brainer.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Geez Tim, did you tell Steve to add a surcharge for me? Hehe. He quoted me 140 to haul to your house! No big, its still 60 bucks less than all the way to Gorham!
BillB

Post by BillB »

Thanks much for the info..really appreciated!

The Marina Local to me has a ramp (TurtleHead Marina) they handle quite a few sailboats (looks like 30 -50 feet in size) and quite a few Cats. Nice to have, since we are in the middle of the state. My idea (ideally) is to have the boat kept in my yard on the pad, and we would put it in the water at TurtleHead. Then just shoot down the Penobscot to open water at Verona. From there, during the sailing season, we would moor (those questions later) it in an area that is equally available from Waterville and Brewer. But as I have mentioned, a drive does not bother us...

Having the boat in my own yard is in fact a no-brainer.

I can see myself wandering out at midnight, with a copy of Don Caseys "This Old Boat" in one hand and the extention cord in the other.. :-)
Exothermic reactions, smoking/flaming pots of epoxy giving a dim glow in the night. "Hey Bill, what happened to your eyebrows?" ... "NNahh, didn't need em' anyway"..."Thought the new look made me salty..."

So, it looks like I'll call a few haulers an make inquries..talk to the yard about mast stepping and any surprize charges...

Thanks again for your insite/help..gives me a stepping stone to work with...

Nathan,
I was going to go to sleep a few hours ago..I spent the last three reading some of your logs...very nice! Isn't it great to live in such nice cruising grounds... I see that some people like to take Historical routes, some take photographic routes, some camping and exploring...you seem to be on a quest that takes you near and far, for "More Ice"!!! :-)

I spent many years working print shop graphics and considered myself a Graphic Artist..been out of it for a while. Maybe I can shoot you a question or two as I try to master Illustrator, raster seems no problem, vector is a different world... :-)

Evening folks,

Bill
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nathan,

Actually, since I didn't realize at the time that it would cost less going to Yarmouth rather than Falmouth, I already had a check ready for him for $150, but supposedly I now have a "credit" for the fall haulout for the difference. We'll see if he remembers! (I didn't remember, actually, until I just looked up my check to confirm the amount!)

Anyway, you'll make up the cost difference in your lower, "preferential" bill from RRBY, right? hehe
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim- yeah, like I said, I'll be saving 120 bucks overall on not hauling all the way to Gorham. I was fully prepared to pay him the full 200 no questions asked. It still seems cheap to me compared to all the other bills in the marine world.

I wonder if I got a "friend of Lucky-Bear" discount at RRBY?

Bill- This area is absolutely an astounding cruising ground. I love it here in Maine. Glad to hear you enjoyed the logs.

As far as Illustrator goes, I'd be happy to try and help you out. I always find these things are somewhat difficult to describe over email, but I can give it a shot.