Triton boatstands

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Triton boatstands

Post by Figment »

Both of these pics show what appear to be 3' boatstands. My experience with these last winter was that these were a bit on the short side, and that 4' units would have been better.

Question: are 5' units excessive or unworkable?

I've been offered the use (and possible ownership) of a set of 5' stands if I can drag them out of the cattails this weekend.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The stands in the picture of my boat (the top one, for those who don't recognize it--circa summer 2000) are Brownell SB-2 (48"-65"). They are, in my opinion, the perfect size for a Triton. The short ones in the picture of Figment probably only work acceptably because the boat is blocked so low to the ground. I used to have a set of the SB-3s (the smaller ones like in Figment's picture) and in a pinch, they could be made to work with the blocking I had (I think about 12" of blocking at the low point is about perfect).

This picture shows my stands and general arrangement a little better. The aft stands are extended further than they could be because the ground slopes off towards the stern; on level ground, the stands would be considerably shorter, especially on the port side. Note also that the tops of those aft stands are just about at the original scribe mark for the Triton waterline...

The next-larger size of stand..the SB-1 (64"-81") would be awfully tall, but could probably be made to work if the boat was blocked high enough. But they would be way too tall with low blocking--the lowest extension of the stand will end up too high on the hull and won't be able to properly support it. The blocking would need to be 2' or more high to get the stands into the proper position.

The other problem with too-tall stands is that they end up on a surface that is approaching vertical, and the boat has more of a tendency to push the stands away. The stands are best placed more under the hull, to better match the designed angle of the stands.

If you can arrange proper blocking (and it would have to have a wide base to be blocked that high, too), then the taller stands (SB-1) would work. And if you can get your hands on the stands for possible ownership, I would do it regardless. If nothing else, you can use the tops and purchase only the proper size bottoms, saving some money in the process.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

It was a windfall weekend. I dragged these stands out of the reeds (it's amazing what a small vehicle can accomplish in "4-low") and scrubbed them down. They're in fine shape, despite being abandoned to the marsh for a few years. Of course, this kind of activity draws a crowd of yardbirds, but for once the discussion turned productive.

"you need chain for those stands? I replaced the chain on mine last year and I totally overestimated how much I needed. I kept the leftover on the boat thinking it could go with my storm ground tackle, but really it's been in the way all summer....."
Score: free chain.

"oh, hey, when so-and-so sold his boat to whatshisname last year, whatshisname decided to build a new set of winter cover frames because he wanted pvc instead of metal, and I think he just left the metal ones in the weeds behind that shed over there...."
Score: one set of bent-conduit cover frames.

"yeah, you'll need to block your keel up pretty high for those stands to work, but there should be plenty of offcut timber leftover from the A-dock bulkhead project next month...."
Score: A promised pile of 8x8 and 8x12 scrap.

And the wife thought I was crazy for bothering to join a club with a 10-year waiting list for slips!

Measurements confirm that these are the 64" SB1 stands you mentioned, Tim. Yeah, having the boat blocked up that high off the ground will look pretty silly, but maybe I can rationalize it by taking the opportunity to drop the rudder for reconditioning.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Every now and then you get lucky! Congratulations on your multi-score-o-rama!

Post a pic of your high-blocked boat when the time is right. Interested to see how it works out.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating