Folding Sinks for the head

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
artzat

Folding Sinks for the head

Post by artzat »

I am renovating the head on my Bristol 34 and am considering installation of a folding head to make more room in the tight space. I have seen such animals on trains and boats, but I can't find any US sources on the net. I did find one un Europe, but they don't answer my inqiury. Does anyone know a US source for a folding sink?

Also, does anyone have any comments on folding sinks for occasional use in the head?

Thanks.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Most Tritons were delivered with folding sinks in the head--lightweight aluminum affairs that drained into the toilet. I thought it was ugly and in the way--kind of like having a big cheap lousy collander in the middle of the head.

Perhaps some one has an old one kicking around...I got rid of mine ages ago. (The underside of my old sink had been painted, but the bowl was lovely oxidized and dented raw aluminum.)

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
artzat

Folding Sinks

Post by artzat »

I agree that the old folding sink from your Triton was pretty sad. However, I have seen sinks in trains and planes and Navy ships that were pretty neat, perhaps almost "charming" in their vintage cleverness. Some had nice wooden frames and victorian hardware. But I am very short on space, so all I need is something that folds down for hand washing and then gets out of the way.

The only folding sink I have found on the net is somewhat industrial looking, but it appears well built and very suitable for my task. However, it's on a Russian web site, embedded in a PDF that has no contact information. Check it out at this link:

http://www.pilotbook.ru/osculati/gruppo50eng.pdf

If I can't locate a suitable folder, I may try a slide-out drawer type design that hides beneath the under-deck portion of my cramped head space when not in use. It would slide inboard above the toilet on a countertop-in-a drawer, and stow outboard under the deck when not in use. I've never seen such a rig, but it works great in my mind!

Thanks for the input, and also for giving me the courage to take a saws-all to my Bristol's galley and head.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I still have the folding sink from #78. I've been waffling on the issue of reinstalling or not.

This is one of those issues that will be decided by the wifey. Lemme talk to her, and I'll post a pic of it so you can see the condition.
artzat

folding sinks

Post by artzat »

Hey, slow down! I wasn't trying to pry that old sink from your historic renovation hands. I was looking for a nice, new stainless contraption like the one on that Russian web site. I have a wife, too, one with complete approval authority. She's barely considering that new industrial looking sink. An old sink surely won't even be considered for this renovation project.

Thanks.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: folding sinks

Post by Figment »

artzat wrote:Hey, slow down! I wasn't trying to pry that old sink from your historic renovation hands.
well, it seems I've developed something of a reputation.

I wonder how that could've happened? ;) jeez, and how well timed is this? because my spin pole is so beat up and corroded, and my boom is perforated with holes from absent hardware (I'm 90% sure it's a salvage job from some other boat), just last night I was noodling over the thought of building spruce replacements and painting the mast. How retro-nutty would I be then???

Those modern folding sinks are really slick. I saw one at last year's Newport boat show, I think it was on a Lindssen (sp?).