Searching for Vacuum Break for coolant loop

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rigel
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Rigel
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Searching for Vacuum Break for coolant loop

Post by Rigel »

Anyone have a source other than the Vetus in the WM catalog? Mine had a small plastic device atop the bronze water loop that recently disintegrated after 44 years of service. The U-fitting at the top of the wet exhaust injection loop has 1/8 NPT output. Could probably rig a flapper with some plumbing fittings, but time....
Dave Cutter
Pearson Triton--Sausalito built--masthead rig.
#335 website
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

On my last boat we had it set up....

Post by dkall »

We set it up with a hose run to the cockpit drain. I drilled into it and put a hose barbed fitting in there. Save the engine once. When my impellor went immediately the cockpit drain filled up with exhaust. Check of the engine gauges showed the temp was elevating fast so I shut it down and went to fix it.

Will have the same setup in this boat as I near completion. Quite simple and close to fool proof. I did have a little water squirting out it but that always let me know I was getting flow, so I didn't need to hang out over the side of the boat to see. :)
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

On my last boat we had it set up....

Post by dkall »

We set it up with a hose run to the cockpit drain. I drilled into it and put a hose barbed fitting in there. Saved the engine once. When my impellor went immediately the cockpit drain filled up with exhaust. Check of the engine gauges showed the temp was elevating fast so I shut it down and went to fix it.

Will have the same setup in this boat as I near completion. Quite simple and close to fool proof. I did have a little water squirting out it but that always let me know I was getting flow, so I didn't need to hang out over the side of the boat to see. :)
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium