Painting a rusty engine

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Painting a rusty engine

Post by Jason K »

My Atomic 4 has a great deal of rust on it. I'll post a photo that will give you some idea in just a bit. I need to paint what is accesible now, while the motor is still in the boat. When I pull the motor for a rebuild, I'll repaint the whole thing.

I believe the paint that remains is original. I know that Universal painted some early model A4's green and that's the color mine is. Or was. Or should be.

Sound gross? It's actually not too bad and I've seen worse colors. Here's one that's close:

I cannot find a similar color anywhere that isn't a spray paint. Given the quarters, I want more control than spray provides (if possible; if not, I suppose I could tape off and spray). Does anyone have any ideas? I could go with another color, but the starter and alternator, which are newer, are green and look fine. I really don't want a multi-colored engine. Also, what should I use for a primer?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I can't imagine trying to paint an engine with anything other than a spray can. Way too many nooks, crannies, tight spots, and too much potential for disgusting sloppy messes.

I would definitely recommend taking a few minutes to cover over the other parts of your engine room and then paint with spray can. To me, this seems like far less effort, and with a better end result. Those little aerosol cans really aren't that bad from a control perspective, but there's plenty of overspray.

The A4 that came out of Glissando was green also. A nice "John Deere green" might fit the bill. I prefer brightly-colored engines myself, so I think the green is good. I actually think CAT yellow is a great engine color. Have a little fun with your paint job, and make that engine yours!

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Tractor Supply sells .....wait for it.....tractor paint. In every color of the tractor rainbow....aerosol....quarts....you name it. Good stuff too.

I am sure you could find something there.

Ric

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pc ... oductID=52
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kendall
Master Varnisher

tractor paint

Post by kendall »

They also sell a hardener that works like a dream, the implement paint is very cheap, right around $20 a gallon, the hardener runs $7 or $8 a can, like I said a very hard and scratch resistant paint with the hardener I use it a lot on 4x4 trucks, lower body panels, frames, axles, and engines/transmissions.
pretty much any 'tractor' color is available, along with white and black.
also has a great shelf life.

ken
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

OK then, I'll spray the sucker. My engine looks remarkably like Tim's old one. I don't have quite that forest of wires though.

l suppose I'll use John Deere Green tractor paint. What about a rust inhibitor like Rustoleum for a primer? Will it stand the heat?
J/30 Rambunctious
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:I prefer brightly-colored engines myself, so I think the green is good. I actually think CAT yellow is a great engine color.
That is a downside to the Yanmar... I liked the color on the Vetus you put in the daysailor.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, the metallic gray/silver Yanmar color is not the most interesting. It wouldn't keep me from buying another Yanmar, though!

The Vetus engine in the daysailor was very close to CAT yellow, but a little more orange-y.

Tim

Post by Tim »

BTW, I thought the CAT-theme bike they did on American Chopper was wicked cool.

Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia

Post by Eric »

Color chart for the BPS Spray Paint from Tractor Supply is here.
Sophia, Triton #635
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

Now that you have the daysailor project under your belt, could we perhaps see a series of theme tritons?

I can see a TV show here, perhaps "Pimp my yawl"?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

Now that you have the daysailor project under your belt, could we perhaps see a series of theme tritons?

I can see a TV show here, perhaps "Pimp my yawl"?
John Tarbox
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

OK then, I'll spray the sucker
When you are done spraying you could paint the engine compartment with white bilgecote. That would erase the overspray and the bright white does wonders for making the area look better.

Something in the back of my head is reminding me that painting your engine in a color other than the traditional manufacturer's color is a violation of professional ethics. The color is like a trademark and represents the reputation of the manufacturer. Professionals should stand on their own reputation and not try to mimic others'.

Or some such blather. Do what you want of course. There are very few people that know about that ethical code, let alone care.

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:That would erase the overspray and the bright white does wonders for making the area look better.
Not to mention brighter for when you actually need to get in there to work on the beast. Somehow being shoehorned into a tiny white space is preferable to a tiny dingy oily dank space....
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Something in the back of my head is reminding me that painting your engine in a color other than the traditional manufacturer's color is a violation of professional ethics. The color is like a trademark and represents the reputation of the manufacturer. Professionals should stand on their own reputation and not try to mimic others'.
Of course, with A4s being found in red, green, blue, gray, and that newer coppery-bronze color, the field is pretty wide open.

I really don't think choosing an interesting spray can color for one's personal engine is any sort of attempt to mimic another's engine manufacturing reputation.
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

One engineer I knew who built his own sailboat from scratch in his backyard claimed that the best color for an engine is white. In fact he had his brand new diesel re-painted white before installation. His reasoning was that any leaks, be they oil, coolant, whatever, would stand out against a white backgroubd and thus could be attended to quickly.
John Tarbox
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I really don't think choosing an interesting spray can color for one's personal engine is any sort of attempt to mimic another's engine manufacturing reputation.
That is because your mind is not as twisted as mine is. I think I have heard old time mechanics grumble about it but that is hardly evidence for an ethics debate. In any event, it would only be a concern from grumpy old mechanics who have been in the business for too long. Did Universal really paint their engines in all those colors or is that aftermarket/shade tree mechanic stuff?

I think any good clean color is a vast improvement and will show up any leaks pretty quickly. Curiously, black is often known as the color that shows dirt/oil the quickest. I definitely wouldn't be painting a new engine just for better color though.

Jason, I wouldn't worry about priming the engine first. Especially as you are thinking of pulling it because you are probably going to redo the paint at that point again anyway. Most auto parts stores have paints specifically designed for engines and come in original manufacturer's colors (i.e. Ford blue, Universal gold, etc.) I bet if you stopped by a John Deere dealership/parts shop they would have some paint you could use.
I can't remember painting an engine before but I am pretty sure priming is not a part of the process. Just make sure the engine is as clean as humanly possible (which should be a standard goal anyway IMHO).

Once the engine is painted you should send in a picture to Moyer. They are starved for monthly pinups.

-Britton
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

Uh, really dumb question. How do I clean my engine (boat is hauled for the winter) so I can paint it?
Al Lorman
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Al,

I started with a variety of wire wheels on a cordless drill and a couple wire brushes of different sizes. I used a very cheap paintbrush to remove the rust residue. Once the large, scaling bits of rust were removed, I sanded the remainder with 60 and 120 grit sandpaper. I then cleaned the whole engine with soap and water, using a scotchbright pad.

That's right everyone, I'm now an expert on the subject. Here are a few photos below. I'll post a finished product photo when I wrap up the project tomorrow.

I cleaned the engine and primed it with the Rustoleum Heavy Rust Primer. I then painted it John Deere Green with tractor paint. I do not share Britton's view of retaining the manufacturer's color scheme in the interest of proprietary propriety. If anyone confuses my boat for a farm implement, the day may go poorly for them. :)

BEFORE:

DURING:

ALMOST AFTER:
J/30 Rambunctious
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

Jason

Now if you ever sell the boat you can advertise; Engine completely rebuilt. :) Nothing like the engine rebuild kit in a can.

Seriously it looks great and it is a big improvement. you must be pleased.

Brock
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Boy, no messing around there in the South is there?! Talk one day, Do the next. Looks good.

Spraying with brake cleaner will make the oil run off if that is all you need but otherwise I would say clean the engine just like Jason did. My experience with brake cleaner is that it doesn't cause a problem with paint but your mileage my vary...

I mention the color thing only for a balance in the discussion, not to impose restrictions. Without opposing points of view this forum would turn into a cheerleader rally. Can you see me sporting Pom-Poms in the forum colors?...

As for farm implements. I will remember not to make the comparison but personally I have a soft spot for tractors. When I have done everything else I wouldn't mind doing a restoration project on an old tractor. Last year I saw a portable saw mill pull into the yard powered by an A4 and the operator said it was the perfect powerplant for his operation. So no farm implements but a logging/milling tool maybe.

-Britton
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:Boy, no messing around there in the South is there?! Talk one day, Do the next.
That's what I thought - I was equally impressed. I mean, don't you have to obsess for a while first? ;-)
Can you see me sporting Pom-Poms in the forum colors?...
Now there's an image....

:-)
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:...personally I have a soft spot for tractors...
Me too!

Interestingly, the Yanmar engine in my John Deere is a close cousin to the marinized QM/GM series that are so common out there. Air cooled, of course, but generally the same engine.

And the Yanmar in the tractor is painted black.

Jason: the engine looks great. Now, you just need to detail the front and hand paint the "Universal" lettering on the flywheel. JD yellow would be mighty fine...
Tim

Post by Tim »

FWIW, I understand Britton's point about engine colors. I believe that a professional engine rebuilder should always use the original colors for a given engine, even if it's only as a courtesy rather than for any "formal" reasons. Certainly the engine colors are not actually trademarked in most cases; if they were, of course we wouldn't be able to buy the colors at the store.

But for individuals, it's clearly a different situation.

I agree that white makes all fluid leaks most visible--good if you want to see them. Of course, a white engine needs a crew of 2 to keep it clean and polished, like in the big mega yachts. Otherwise, simple belt dust will render it intolerable in about a week.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

whoa, is that the original 12v generator? You're a more patient man than I!!!

Even though I try to keep the boat as original as possible, and have a professional electric motor rebuilder who owes me about a thousand favors, I retired the generator for an alternator last year.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

You know, re-wiring the engine would sure compliment the new paint job and would make a nice afternoon project...

-Britton
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Boy, no messing around there in the South is there?! Talk one day, Do the next. Looks good.
Well, this little project was pretty straightforward. Plus it was about 10 degrees too cool for pleasant sailing.
Now, you just need to detail the front and hand paint the "Universal" lettering on the flywheel. JD yellow would be mighty fine...
I just might.

whoa, is that the original 12v generator? You're a more patient man than I!!!
If it aint broke...
You know, re-wiring the engine would sure compliment the new paint job and would make a nice afternoon project...
Both the rewiring of the whole boat and the painting of the bilge and engine compartment are on the shortlist.
J/30 Rambunctious
Figment

Post by Figment »

xyz
Last edited by Figment on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figment

Post by Figment »

oh, my generator ain't broke either. it's sitting on a shelf, strong as they day it was made. The problem was the regulator. Free though they were, I grew weary of constantly replacing blown regulators.

That might have had something to do with the fact that the regulators had been sitting on a shelf in my buddy's shop since christ was a corporal, I dunno.