Volvo MD2 with weird options...

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
penthink

Volvo MD2 with weird options...

Post by penthink »

Anyone have any experience with them? I have a perplexing problem which entails the addition, approximately a millenium ago apparently, of an additional water pump and strange cistern to the original system. I just bought the boat and the added pump is frozen and is not made anymore.

Anyone else seen a system like this added? Anyone have any idea what the heck it might have been added for? Would anyone else dare just tear it off and go back to utilizing only the pump the system was designed for?

Lastly, is there any danger in just popping a "universal" pump onto the engine and going for it?
David

Re: Volvo MD2 with weird options...

Post by David »

penthink wrote:Anyone have any experience with them? I have a perplexing problem which entails the addition, approximately a millenium ago apparently, of an additional water pump and strange cistern to the original system. I just bought the boat and the added pump is frozen and is not made anymore.

Anyone else seen a system like this added? Anyone have any idea what the heck it might have been added for? Would anyone else dare just tear it off and go back to utilizing only the pump the system was designed for?

Lastly, is there any danger in just popping a "universal" pump onto the engine and going for it?
The raw water pump was on the back of the engine. I'm not familiar with a second pump unless it was rigged for some kind of PTO to act as a bilge pump. Is this second pump located on the front and getting power from a belt off the flywheel? Can you tell me what you mean by "cistern" and its location?
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

whoa. my brain just clicked. I don't think I caught the part about the "cistern" when you first posted the question.

an accessory pump, that takes a line off the engine coolant system and then runs it through a water tank (cistern)......

Could this be an onboard hot water system? Is anything else plumbed into this cistern?