Water system

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Water system

Post by windrose »

Today I was going to work on the water system much like Glissando's-- splice into the raw water line, fresh/salt water foot pumps for the galley. Any "head's up" or things that you would have done differently?

What about a deck wash, can I simply splice into the salt water line below the foot pump and add a line and small electric pump. I am hesitant to cut another hole in the hull (probably shouldn't be).

What about a clean out access for the water tank? Looks pretty scary when I shine a flash light down in there....YIKES! I was going to cut it right in the top of the tank about center of the baffel or better for an access to each side of the baffel
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Other than the drainage issues in the galley sink, I am happy with the water system as is.

I added an 8" plastic deck plate in the top of the water tank so that I could get in there and clean it out, etc. I don't seem to have a picture of it, but it's pretty much centered in the exposed area of the tank and across the baffle. I also added a deck fill for the tank so I wouldn't have to drag hoses down below.

Finally, I added a T to the supply line just downstream of the tank in the bilge, so that I can easily open the valve and drain the tank if desired (which I do in the winters, and to flush the tank).

It's fine to splice into an existing salt water line, but for a deck wash, which uses a fair bit of water, don't splice into the engine raw water intake, which also requires a fair bit of water. If that's your only option, you're better off with a new fitting somewhere, or maybe you can splice into the head intake.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
windrose

Post by windrose »

Thanks Tim.... the water system is slowly coming together. Yesterday I got the blocks mounted to the hull for the foot pumps to sit on. I riped out all the old hoses and cleaned and painted the bilge. I located the new water filter in the bilge opening of the head area.

Today I should be ready to install the hoses.... I am going to wait to attach the hose to the raw water intake until the aluminum hatch comes in and the access is better but I am making steady progress.

I have to go work today for most of the day :-(.... as Britton said... my obsession grows.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi Guys,

I spliced my deck wash line right into the "head" intake line. Works very well. I have become a big fan of deck wash systems. I use one that has a pressure switch built into the pump that turns on when you squeeze the trigger of the spray nozzle. Very slick. I know it's another thing that can break down and then there's all the new wiring, fuses, mounting plates, plumbing, etc. It's all forgotten the first morning you wash down the anchor without having to hoist a bucket though.

George
windrose

Post by windrose »

Windrose does not have a thru hull for the head, I can't tell that there has ever been one. She just had a porti potti when I got her and since pump out is an issue where she will be moored I opted for an upgrade of the porta potti. Thought about the AirHead but I can add alot of upgrades for the grand I would have spent on the AirHead, waiting on that to come down in price as more come to the market.

Muddy smelly rode is an issue too ;-) so I would really like to add a deck wash. I can splice into the thru hull for the cockpit drains or I could add a thru hull forward.... thoughts?
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

In your case, I'd suggest a new through hull. Snaking hose all the way through the boat would be overly complicated and expensive, and you'd have to draw water through that much more hose, possibly reducing pressure.

There's nothing wrong with a new fitting when necessary--it's just always good to look for practical ways to avoid it. Put a seacock on it and keep the fitting where it's easily accessible so that you can close the seacock when not in use.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

As part of my engine change on my Marshal 22, I'm considering a deck wash system. I see that it's not recommended to splice into the engine water supply though. I would like to be able to run the engine while using the hose(perfect for water fights) I guess I could go into the head supply line but then I'd have to run the hose back to the cockpit(about 12-15').Any issues with this that anyone can think of?
Can anyone recommend a system? I see plenty out there and they all give PSI and GPM but I don't know how those numbers relate to actual functionality. Pics???
thanks