Non skid

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Non skid

Post by windrose »

What are you guys using for non-skid? Preferably as a paint additive vs. some sort of prefab non skid. Thanks.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Non-skid.

Post by Rachel »

I'm sure you'll get some great advice here, but, as additional information, it just so happens there was a thread on this a couple of days ago on the Cruising World bulletin board. Here's a link to the first post in case you want to check it out:

http://forum.cruisingworld.com/forums/g ... ead=408422
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I just used Pettit's nonskid additive with their Easypoxy (1 part poly similar to Brightsides). The nonskid is quite aggressive?more so than the Interlux beads?so if you are looking for an aggressive nonskid I would recommend it.

I mixed it right into the paint?approx 4oz per quart. Could have used a little less and still been ok.

It applied well and is quite even.
windrose

Post by windrose »

Thanks Rachel and Nathan. Yesterday I added another coat of the two part polyurethane to the no non skid area (on top of three coat of high build epoxy primer). Talking about breathing new life into an old boat ....wow. I can't wait to add some contrast with the non skid.

However, that will have to wait a few days. Next I have to address the flex in the cockpit sole and the fantail deck. I know Tim glassed in an additional top layer. I was thinking of simply taking foam pipe insulation and cutting it in half and glassing this to the underside as stiffeners. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Lastly, there is a old two speed Barlowe winch that has been added right in the middle of the fantail. It has an Allen key holding the drum on, however when you turn the Allen key the drum turns also since it is two speed. How do I keep the drum from spinning? Tried to simply remove the winch from the bottom, all the nuts came off EXCEPT one which is turning on the top side of the pedestal meaning the drum is going to have to come off to remove it. :(
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

non skid

Post by tartan30cirrus »

I just had a wonderful time repainting my non skid with Interlux Interdeck Biege color. This is the one part polyu with the beads premixed in. It was so easy to apply and looks awesome with phenomenal non skid properties. I will forever use this stuff. I had heard that the beads settle to the bottom of the paint tray and can cause a non uniform spread of non skid texture when rolled on. This is very untrue. In fact there was no settling even when the can had sat on the shelf for who knows how long unstirred. It has the texture of a non viscous peanut butter and stirring it up reminded me of stirring the all natural peanut butter where the oils separate from the rest.
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Happy to hear that the Interdeck worked well for you. I intend to use the same stuff (and the same color) for my non skid in early May. I've had a hard time finding reviews that weren't written by Interlux. What did you use for primer and for the parts of your deck that aren't non skid?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

I did not need a primer b/c the previous coating was a polu paint which would have bonded with the interdeck. However, I used epoxy filler as a base for the new non skid so that the new would blend in with the old and be fair. This was also a primer b/c I was uncertain what the previous coating was until recently.
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
windrose

Post by windrose »

I bought the Interdeck (gray) yesterday. Glad to hear you are happy with the results.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

windrose wrote:I bought the Interdeck (gray) yesterday. Glad to hear you are happy with the results.
I'll be interested to see that grey. Pics of the applied product please! I shied away from it as I was afraid it would be too dark for my taste, though I did really want to use the premade product.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I used Interdeck on a project last fall and was highly impressed. The nonskid particles remain extremely evenly distributed, and the final result is excellent.

The instructions on the can indicate that no primer is necessary even for bare fiberglass. I found that the product covered extremely well, leaving an even, consistent surface. I will use it again, and will probably use it when I paint the Daysailor decks later.

I found the beige color to be very pleasing, if you like beige decks--it's a nicer, more traditional color than the Bristol Beige Brightsides that I used on Glissando. I also sampled the cream color for the heck of it, but I didn't particularly like it.

I would also like to see photos of the gray Interdeck...and your thoughts on the color once it's applied. It seems darker than I might choose from the color chip, but only a real-world use will tell for sure.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating