Paint sold by quarts?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
george
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Paint sold by quarts?

Post by george »

I just painted my house, so seeing marine paint being sold by the quart make me think it is a conspiracy to bankrupt me! Especially when it is $45 a quart! (and here Don Casey says in Good Old Boat that supplies will cost $200!!!)

How many quarts / gallons would you estimate is needed for an Alberg 30? The interlux "calculator" returns too many answers for me to make sense of it.

For budgetary reasons I am considering the following products:

Interlux Perfection (topsides and deck, $45 a quart)
Interlux Interdeck for non-skid on deck
Interlux Bottomcote ACT
Some sorta primer so the 2-part poly does not eat the boat.

What is an educated guess on how much of each I will need? The boat yard sales this stuff, so I can buy as I go, but need to prepare mentally for the financial outlay.

Thanks!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I just sprayed two Tritons (well, one Triton and one Daysailor), hulls, decks and cockpits, and used four gallons of primer plus 2 gallons of converter and over a gallon of reducer. To be fair, there was some waste in there--product I mixed and did not need. The waste accounts for about a quart or a little more. This was three coats in all areas.

Spraying tends to use more paint than other means, but perhaps this gives an idea.

Rolling and tipping Awlgrip on Glissando, I used well under a gallon (topcoat, unmixed) for three coats on the hull, and likewise on the decks. I might have used 2 quarts of mixed product (mixed 2 parts base to 1 part converter to 30% reducer for brush application). Awlgrip is very thin when reduced for brushing, so this isn't necessarily representative of other paints. I don't think buying a gallon of any paint would be the wrong move for painting hulls. If your deck areas will be the same color, then by all means go for the larger sizes.

2 quarts of the Interdeck will take care of two coats on deck.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating