Hull Transducer Removal/Replacement

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
avd155

Hull Transducer Removal/Replacement

Post by avd155 »

Hi Everyone,

There is one last piece to my boat I've yet to remove, the old transducer. I have attached 3 images of what the state of the current transducer. Each image has a caption giving a basic description of what you're looking at.

Here are the questions I have:

1) How can I remove the transducer? It seems silly I've been able to take everything else out, but this seems to be firmly in place. The outside doesn't give me any hints as to where I might be able to remove fasteners or something. Any ideas?

2) What are my options for replacing the in-hull transducer. I've heard that an ordinary fish finder type of transducer would work just fine, but those probably use more energy than this liquid filled transducer. I'm open to whatever is proven to work in the long run and work well.
Attachments
The location of the transducer on the exterior of the hull.  Note the old fairing job.
The location of the transducer on the exterior of the hull. Note the old fairing job.
A close up shot of the transducer stem.  It used to be mated with a wooden block that I recently removed.
A close up shot of the transducer stem. It used to be mated with a wooden block that I recently removed.
You can see the sad little transducer sitting in the middle of an empty boat.  This gives an idea for it's placement.
You can see the sad little transducer sitting in the middle of an empty boat. This gives an idea for it's placement.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Hull Transducer Removal/Replacement

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I had a long-abandoned transducer that looked a bit like that. I tried drilling out the center of it, but found that the actual 'speaker' was a disc of ceramic, harder than tile. The shell was bronze, like yours. I dug around the disc and prised it out with the universal tool, a screwdriver. Then drilled the remaining sealant out. Then used one of my un-patented throughhull pullers:

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk90 ... G_0296.jpg
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Removal: A blowtorch and a pipe wrench.

Replacement will be the product of a whole-system selection you'll make much much farther down the road.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nice blank slate!

I agree with Figment: I would just proceed (after removal of the old transducer and repair of the hole) without planning any new system until the project is nearing completion. Because of the "always wait until the very end to do electronics" philosophy.

Rachel