Door Catch

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Door Catch

Post by Capn_Tom »

I just finished installing all my locker doors but I can't decide what type of door catch to use. I'd prefer not to use hooks and would like something thst will keep the doors closed when contents shift at sea.

Any favorite or hated styles?
The board does not cut itself short!
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

LKIII came with these:

Which are easy open/close in port and light conditions, and don't stick out.

Those that tended to open in heavy seas I put these on:

Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

Am I correct in my assumption that the button catch mounts on the back of the door and the lever is manipulated through a finger hole in the door?

Can anyone loan me an elf to get inside the locker to line up the two parts on stud catch?
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

No, the latch (if you are referring to the lower picture) was on the outside.....

If you are referring to the upper picture, the ball catch, that was on the inside.

If I were to install those I would install the catch in the cabinet, lining the door piece up flush with the frame, then put the door piece in the catch (as in door closed)... then put some molding/plumbers putty on the door and gently press it into the catch. This would give you an exact location.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Tom, let's see some pictures of what you have been up to!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Capn_Tom

Re: Door Catch

Post by Capn_Tom »

I am probably the worst person on the planet when it comes to documenting my work with pictures. I always tell myself there are just a few more things to complete and then I will take some pictures. The fact that I always move on to a new proect when I reach the 80% completion point of the current project doesn't help. I did just recently figure out how to post pictures though so I guess I'll have to start using my newfound skill. When I get tired of pulling wire this weekend I'll take a few pictures and open myself up to ridicule.
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I was just at the Victoria Floating Boat Show on the weekend and saw some catches I liked - I'm looking for some too. They were on the Jenneau and Bavaria. When closed all you see is a flush button - push the button and they pop out about 3/8 of an inch and you can open the door. When closing push the button and they catch. The button operates a tang that goes into the jamb. Very neat looking and much better then the finger breaking catch inside a hole in the door ( which I now have). If anyone knows where they can be purchased I would be interested. I think I saw them in chrome and brass finish.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

mitiempo wrote:I was just at the Victoria Floating Boat Show on the weekend and saw some catches I liked - I'm looking for some too. They were on the Jenneau and Bavaria. When closed all you see is a flush button - push the button and they pop out about 3/8 of an inch and you can open the door. When closing push the button and they catch. The button operates a tang that goes into the jamb. Very neat looking and much better then the finger breaking catch inside a hole in the door ( which I now have). If anyone knows where they can be purchased I would be interested. I think I saw them in chrome and brass finish.
Those are great door latches. I know someone who purchased some directly from Jenneau (or was it Beneteau...either way), so you might contact these companies to see if that is a possibility. I've not seen those catches available elsewhere, though I haven't really looked either.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I have replaced and installed many of the flush pop-out latches. They are very sweet in appearance and operation. They do however fail more often than one would like. If you go this route consider keeping an extra or 2 on hand for replacement.

These Southco flush pull latches are my all time favorites. Very pricey, but worth it if you can spare the expense and have the time and skills to install them. Also keep in mind that they won't work on narrow frame doors.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

mitiempo

Sorry I don't have time this morning to upload a picture but would this fill your need? www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=39595F . Jamestown also had an option for $30+. A bit pricey for my 24 doors.
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

That looks like what I saw. but you're right, they're pricy. The ones I saw at the show didn't use strike plates I noticed. Thanks.