Removing Dried-on Tape

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Removing Dried-on Tape

Post by Marshall Wright »

Greetings,

Some advice?

I refinished all my teak trim this summer. On the third or fourth coat, I taped fully expecting to get back the next weekend for another coat and to remove the tape. As things happen, work took me out of town for a couple of weeks. During my absence, the tape set up and is almost impossible to remove. I thought I'd let the sun do its thing and soften it up but that doesn't appear to be happening.

I've tried a spray can of "adhesive remover". Sort of works but still requires lots of careful scrapping. A single-edge razor blade works but you have to be ever-so-careful.

Any other products/techniques that will ease this chore?

Thanks in advance.

Marshall
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

The sun will only bake on the tape more.

Try Xylene or Xylol which is the main ingredient in that 3M adhesive remover. It is a solvent available at any hardware store. It doesn't dull a finish too bad.

Another thing to try is Citri-Solv (or something like that), but some citrus cleaners are better than others. I have not had good luck with goo-gone.

You will still have to put some elbow grease into it--
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Ouch!

Get lots of nice cheap straight razors. They look like little rectangles. They can be found at the hardware store, very common. About $ 3 or so for a pack of 10 something.

It happened to me, too. More than once, I'm ashamed to say. That tape is too far gone for normal removal. Just rip off as much as possible off then use the razor to go under the tape and "shave" the boat. If you do it right, the paint or the gelcoat will not be damaged at all. Round off the corners of the razor to reduce the risk of damage to the gelcoat or paint.

Then use whatever stuff you like for the final gummy removal. I used Goo-Gone with great success.

In the future, remember this much - tape is basically good for up to 3 days at the most. Probably only a day in the tropics (I'm in Maine). Even if the tape says 60 or 30 days, it will ADHERE within 3 days in the hot sun.

- Case
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

I strongly recomend 3M Citrus Cleaner.
We used to use this on most every job we had in the shipyard, as the (business) owner refused to buy the #225 longmask tape. Instead, he insisted on the green automotive tape (3M #233). This was fine for 2-3 days in the weather, but any more and it became concrete on a boat.

Spray this directly on the dried tape glue and let it sit about 2-3 minutes. This will turn the dried glue to a sticky mush, which mostly comes up with a razor blade (carefully, of course). Follow this with a rag sprayed with the cleaner, to wipe up any residual goo.

Though this sounds like a lot of work, it is really not too bad as the 3M Citrus cleaner does most of it for you.
I still like the #233 tape, and I keep several rolls on hand, but I do not leave it in the direct sun for more than 3 days. I am out of Citrus cleaner, and really want some more for those everyday opprtunities to remove sticky glue residue.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Case

Post by Case »

I definitely will be looking for that can! Its lots of work removing the tape all by the razor...

Thanks for the heads up.

- Case