fastener corrosion

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Mike
Bottom Paint Application Technician

fastener corrosion

Post by Mike »

What is the best product to use between stainless fasteners and aluminum to help stop corrosion? Also, any ideas on where the best place to get it would be? I thought Loctite made a product but I might be wrong. There is a lot of small #8 machine screws that are threaded into the mast that I am replacing and some larger fasteners that hold cleats. Also, I will try and post some pictures of my mast paint job later tonight for everyone?s critique.

Thanks
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

For fasteners, I've used Tef-Gel with good success. I comes in a little syringe-like tube. Jamestown Distributors has it, for one place.

On bigger things, I made a large plastic "washer" by tracing the outline and cutting it out of plastic sheet of some sort (at the time I used part of a plastic folder, but I think now I'd look for something UV-resistant from McMaster-Carr, so the little edge that protrudes wouldn't get damaged by the sun).

Rachel

PS: Apparently there is a "fake" Tef-Gel product out called something like "Tuff Gel," and I've heard it's not as good.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

On bigger things, I made a large plastic "washer"
Actually plastic washers are available just like their metal counterparts. I have used them in the aviation industry. I don't know where else they show up.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi Mike,

I've rebuilt and Awlgripped four masts at this point and used a product called "Duralac" on the threads of every screw that went back into all the masts. The product is yellow in color, comes in a wildly expensive tube ( $40 bucks or so ), and is specifically designed to reduce the galvanic action between stainless steel and aluminum. One tube will do four or five masts. Product has worked well for me so far.

George

P.S. -- remember to put some tape or plastic ( or lots of Duralac ) under any plate type fittings -- gooseneck plates for example. That large surface of stainless steel will eventually bubble the Awlgrip along the edges of the stainless steel plate.
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi again Mike,

I was looking at some of the other posts and just wanted to point out that plastic washers are fine for lifting the stainless steel screw heads off the mast but you need to electrically isolate the threads ( as much as possible at least ) as well. Galvanic corrosion is an electrical transfer between two masses of metal. A plastic washer will keep the paint from bubbling at the edges of the screw head for a long time but the threads will still corrode and freeze with the full galvanic force of the entire screw -- and eventually bubble the paint anyway -- it just takes longer.

Plastic washers combined with an electrical isolating bedding compound, like Duralac, would give you the best possible protection from galvanic corrosion.

I personally don't use plastic washers under screw heads. I'm afraid that if the washer ever rotted away from UV exposure I would have a loose bolt on the mast. I'm not sure if this is a valid fear, maybe someone else can speak to that. I just use enough Duralac so that it squeezes out under the screw head a little bit and call it good.

Hope this helps,

George
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

I use Lanocote for this purpose with good results. I get the paste version that comes in a 4 oz tub.

Todd
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:
On bigger things, I made a large plastic "washer"
Actually plastic washers are available just like their metal counterparts. I have used them in the aviation industry. I don't know where else they show up.

-Britton
I should have been more clear; I meant on large-although-round things like winches or on odd-shaped items, oblong cleats, or line clutches (was re-doing a boom).
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

yeah, I wasn't correcting your idea just adding to it. Something for the threads of the fastener are still needed too.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog