Plumbing multiple water tanks

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Plumbing multiple water tanks

Post by Skipper599 »

Back in March of 2006, BC Cooke wrote of his thoughts on tanks for his boat. He made a comment regarding the fact there is little information out there with respect to the plumbing system on small boats. well, here we are, 6 yyears later and guess what? ... Nothing much has changed. I make this comment because, I'm running into problems finding various fittings to accomplish what I wish to do.

Here's the situation: I have three aluminum water tanks installed under the floor, above the internal ballast. Just like Britton Cooke, I want to interconnect them, but still have controll over which tank to fill and which to draw from etc. This of couse, requires a manifold of some type complete with shut off valves.

I've recently discovered "Sea Tech" plumbing systems. This product uses Quick Connect Fittings which sounds like an excellent system to use on a boat. They use 1/2" Seapex Flex Pipe, (available in Red, Blue or White). The hose simply pushes into the fitting and is locked in place with corrosion resistant teeth, allowing SeaTech connectors to interconnect with multiple materials without the need for special tools or inserts. Further more, their literature describes early on how one can connect three fittings together to make a Mini Manifold. These same fittings can also be obtained with individual Shut-Off Valves, allowing control of tank usage.

Now we appear to be getting somewhere. My next question is, How does one connect this Seapex Flex pipe to a pump or faucet? as most of you will know, the majority of marine pumps and faucets use 1/2" Barbed and clamped connections. I currently have an email in to SeaTech querying them on this.

Next, the water is drawn from each tank having a riser tube welded into the top of the tank. Water is drawn from just above the bottom of the tank. ie: the tube terminates 1/2" above the tank bottom. This tube has a 3/8" Female NPT at the top end, in which I want to attach an elbow to attach the SeaPex hose. Here's the kicker - I've been searching for:Three only, 3/8" NPT x 1/2" Barbed, 90 degree elbows. I've recently been told by three different people there is no such part on the market. ... Can anyone confirm or deny this for me? ... But if that be the case, how does one attach the Seapex hose to the tank riser tube?

If I can obtain the parts I think I need, my intention is to run delivery hoses from each tank riser tube, to the storage area under the port settee in which the body of the foot pump is located. Here I will make up a Mini Manifold to attach these supply lines to. The end fitting will have a 1/2" line to the foot pump, and from the pump to the faucet.

I would like to utilise a small electric supply pump and keep the foot pump as an auxilliary back-up but, I do not know how that should be plumbed in. Any advice on this wouyld be much appreciated. Of course, I realise, many of you are out enjoying your boat on the water but, I'm hoping a few of you still monitor this forum in the evening.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Re: Plumbing multiple water tanks

Post by Tallystick »

Can't you just use a 3/8" pipe elbow with a 1/2" hose adapter threaded onto it?
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Plumbing multiple water tanks

Post by Skipper599 »

Hi there tallystick, thanks for your response. Today, I was visiting with a fabricator friend who directed me to a company named New-Line Hose & Fittings located in an industrial mall; (those places we rarely frquent). All I can say is, WOW! they have every conceivable type of fitting for any purpose dealing with "liquids" of any kind.

I ended up buying a very compact aluminum manifold, having five ports - absolutely perfect for my needs. As well, I obtained three (3) small S.S. Ball Valves plus the 1/2" barbed fittings to create the system I envisaged. In addition, I was given a product-line catalogue. What more could I wish for! - The counter help was extremely helpful and showed a great interest in my project. All I have to do now is, figure out how to install it in the boat. I should also mention, these parts were no more expensive than the SeaTech quick connect parts and I believe, considerably more compact.

I may provide a photo of the assembled parts in the near future if I can figure out where I last left my camera - boat, workshop or office. Wish that it had a locator beeper on it like my cordless phones.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.