Triton #318 Projects

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Triton #318 Projects

Post by triton318 »

Over the years, I've made good use of this forum. I've gotten some ideas and enjoyed watching some of the projects that forum members have undertaken. I decided maybe it was time I "gave back." Just a warning though -- unfortunately I don't have any "during" pictures. I hope that by describing what I've done to my Triton, and by providing the "after" pictures, I might help some people who are contemplating the same, or similar, projects.

Some background: I bought Dove, my 1962 Pearson Triton (#318) in November 1999 for $500.00. She was on the hard in Deale, Maryland. She was named Aeolus. The previous owner had purchased the boat in 1969 (then named Antigone). I believe I'm the third owner.

The boat was as delivered from the factory -- no upgrades or modifications. It had been on the hard for several years. After a thorough inspection, I felt the boat could be cleaned up, splashed, and sailed. I chose not to, however. It has been a life-long dream of mine to see the world from the deck of a small sailboat. I decided this was the boat that would help me fulfill my dream. Therefore, even though I was still a little more than 10 years from departing on my voyage, I decided to fix the boat up. I wasn't going to restore the boat. I guess "refit" more closely describes what I wanted to do.

From November 1999 to August 2001, I did the following:
  • Removed the Atomic 4 and associated equipment, accessories, wires, etc.
  • Removed all hardware, fittings, hoses, wiring, etc.
  • Removed icebox and filled cockpit access to old icebox.
  • Rebuilt galley with more storage space, freshwater foot pump, new sink, new stove.
  • Scrubbed, sanded, painted the entire interior.
  • Installed new Lavac Popular marine toilet, new thru-hulls/seacocks, new sanitation hoses, converted existing freshwater tank under v-berth to holding tank.
  • Installed new cabin sole, built new table, storage areas, plywood/epoxy water tank, made new settee cushion covers for new foam, new curtains, deadlights, etc.
  • Recored 75% of the deck, strengthened cockpit sole and fantail (being a Navy veteran, that's what I always call the small deck space at the stern).
  • Prepped and painted topsides, deck, etc.
  • Made a new rudder and tiller.
  • Disassembled all rigging, inspected mast, replaced all standing rigging using Sta-Lok terminals, added forward lower shrouds, replaced all running rigging, blocks, etc.
  • Hung a 9.8 Nissan outboard on the transom.
  • Bought a new/used main and genoa.
  • A bunch of other things.
Then I sailed her on the Chesapeake (northern regions until summer of 2004, and then southern regions until 2009) -- mostly weekends, but also several one-week cruises, and a nice two-week spring cruise with my dad.

Here are some pictures of Dove from this time:

In March of 2010, I had her hauled out and began a series of projects that would prepare her to take me across oceans.

What I have completed thus far:
  • Removed the SS half oval at the hull-deck joint, prepped, and glassed over the joint with two layers of fiberglass tape. The hull-deck joint had been leaking in places, and I did this more to stop water from coming in than to strengthen the joint.
  • Built a watertight locker in the forward end of the cockpit to reduce cockpit volume in case of boarding waves (also provides nice, dry storage with easy access from the cockpit).
  • Removed old cockpit drain thru-hull fittings, filled holes, installed new cockpit drain thru-hulls, hoses, and fittings in cockpit sole (necessary to accommodate new watertight cockpit locker).
  • Filled in the propeller aperture.
  • Replaced large plexiglass deadlights/frames in cabin with 3/8" polycarbonate, bolted on.
  • Removed opening ports in v-berth and filled in openings.
  • Replaced opening ports in head/hanging locker area with bolted on plexiglass.
  • Added watertight bulkheads in cockpit lockers.
  • Built a water tank where the old Atomic 4 used to sit, using plywood, the hull, and epoxy. I haven't filled it yet, so I don't know the exact volume. I'm guessing it will be around 35 gallons.
  • Built a new galley amidships, starboard side, with lots of storage and a compartment for a gimballed, single burner kerosene stove.
  • Built a quarter-berth, starboard side, with a watertight bulkhead separating it from the cockpit and storage under and behind.
  • Removed the holding tank and all existing wood in the v-berth. Built a compartment for a 39 gallon flexible water tank, two lockers port and starboard, and an anchor chain locker for 150' of chain and 100' of nylon rode. I wanted this to be further aft than the existing anchor chain locker to keep as much weight out of the bow as possible. I have an SL Hyspeed manual anchor windlass that will be mounted at the bow, above the new anchor locker. I will be adding a PVC pipe from underneath the deck to the top of the locker.
  • Painted every square inch of interior space.
  • Installed new hose from the forward water tank and the aft water tank to valves, then a T-fitting, then to the galley footpump, and finally to the spigot at the sink.
  • Installed sea hood (that I had built about four years ago).
  • Retrofitted two existing cabin lights to LED and Aqua Signal 25 series port, starboard, and stern navigation lights to LED (http://www.bebi-electronics.com/).
I'm going to take pictures this week of the work above and post them.

What's left (to be completed this spring):
  • Prep the deck, cockpit, cabin sides, etc. and paint.
  • Prep the topsides and paint (I'm going back to white; although I love dark blue topsides, the dark color makes it too hot down below.)
  • Refurbish the rudder and rehang.
  • Re-step mast.
  • Mount Norvane self-steering windvane.
  • Mount 55 watt solar panel, add 12 volt deep cycle battery, charge controller, and finish wiring.
  • Replace all deck hardware, bow pulpit, and stern rail. Mount six new stanchions and rig lifelines.
  • Miscellaneous small projects, this and that, etc.
The plan is to leave June 1, 2013 and cruise for about 10 years, seeing the world. I was hoping to leave this June, but have to push it out another year. Oh well, I've waited 37 years -- what's another year?
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Cruiser2B
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Salacia
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Re: Triton #318 Projects

Post by Cruiser2B »

Glad to see you are making progress towards your goal of cruising. I am kind of doing the same thing with my alberg 30. I am doing a small rehab of v-berth and water tank just to make our weekend cruises more comfortable. i am also replacing the standing rigging with sta-lok. i purchased all new turnbuckles and such from rigging only. i had intended on pulling mast today but was entirely to windy. I live in norfolk so if you ever need a hand i am not that far away and i would not mind checking out your boat either.
www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
Preparing to get underway!!
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Jay,
Very nice, I can't wait to see the pics of your latest work.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

Me too. You've been doing many of the same projects I've laid out for myself. I'm thrilled to find someone taking the guess work out of the design aspect. Pictures man, pictures!
triton318
Master Varnisher

Post by triton318 »

I have off this week, so I'm working on the boat. I forgot the camera today, but will take it tomorrow and take pictures. As the v-berth will be used only for storage, I decided to put in a small "medicine cabinet" in the bulkhead between the head and the v-berth. That's what I worked on today. I'm also sanding the cabin sole and will be oiling it again. About nine years ago, I redid the cabin sole by epoxying strips of iroko down on the plywood. One-eighth gaps between the strips were filled with black polysulfide. I then oiled it. It's not as pretty as a teak and holly sole, but it looks much better than what was there and it's held up wonderfully.
Jay
Hayes, VA
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

You lead off your list of work with this. Removed the SS half oval at the hull-deck joint, prepped, and glassed over the joint with two layers of fiberglass tape. I'm curious how far back you ground on either side of the joint and to what depth. Elaborate a bit would you? After reading your comment I took my 5" grinder with the sanding wheel and did about half the joint area this afternoon. I need to move staging to get the other side and its too cold here for another couple of months to do much but sand.
triton318
Master Varnisher

Re: Triton #318 Projects - More Pictures

Post by triton318 »

I remembered the camera finally. The batteries died before I was done, though. Figures.

I moved the galley because I didn't like the galley tucked away where it was originally. There is a LOT of storage space. I'm going to be a single-fuel boat -- kerosene. So I went with a gimballed, single burner kerosene stove. There is no built-in icebox. I will use a cooler (probably kept in the v-berth) while in port.

There is a LOT of storage behind and underneath the new quarter berth. I cut the original starboard settee cushions to fit and resewed the cushion covers. (The cushions are at home for the winter.)

The design for the quarter berth included a permanent location for the ditch bag. I added the small drawer (under the ditch bag) last week. (This was the original drawer from the v-berth, cut down in length.) I like a lot of secure storage areas -- a place for everything and everything in its place. All cabinet doors, locker hatches, and drawers will have fittings to secure them in case of a knockdown or capsize. I've read too many descriptions of damaged equipment and injured sailors as a result of flying objects.

The relocation of the galley meant a new companionway ladder. (And a handy storage area.) Behind the ladder is the new water tank.

The fill hose will go straight up to the bridge deck, where the fill fitting will be. The vent hose is next to it. A panel behind separates this area from the area below the cockpit sole. There is a baffle in the tank, necessitating the two access covers.

I've removed the bottom companionway step to show the bottom part of the tank. The bottom, and lower part of the sides, are the inside of the hull. I'm hoping for a capacity of at least 35 gallons.

The bilge behind the water tank, showing the cockpit drain hoses. Removing four short screws, I can quickly remove the panel and have access to this area. I'll have two wooden plugs tethered to each thru hull fitting and some emergency tape as well. The panel behind the cockpit can be removed for access to the rudder post tube. I heavily reinforced the area where that tube is attached to the hull.

There will never be more than two people cruising on this boat, so the v-berth is for storage -- sails, anchor chain/rode, etc. I wasn't able to buy the chain before building the chain locker, so it may be a little higher than necessary. It goes all the way to the bottom of the hull. I'm going to install an 8", round access hatch off-center. A PVC pipe will be mounted from the bottom of the deck to the top of the locker, underneath the opening in the anchor windlass.

Beneath the two, square hatches is the compartment for the 39 gallon flexible water tank. It's lined with some polyethylene foam to cushion it slightly and to keep the cover of the tank from abrading against the inside of the hull. Storage under, port and starboard.

As I'm on a budget, and couldn't find a reasonably priced 1/2" Y-valve, I brought the flexible hose from each tank to a valve, then to a T-fitting, and then to the foot pump for the galley spigot.

The galley foot pump and seacock for the sink drain. I currently have vinyl hose from the aft tank to the valve and from the valves to the pump and spigot. Does anyone know if vinyl is okay for potable water?

Jay
Hayes, VA
triton318
Master Varnisher

Post by triton318 »

sscoll wrote:You lead off your list of work with this. Removed the SS half oval at the hull-deck joint, prepped, and glassed over the joint with two layers of fiberglass tape. I'm curious how far back you ground on either side of the joint and to what depth. Elaborate a bit would you? After reading your comment I took my 5" grinder with the sanding wheel and did about half the joint area this afternoon. I need to move staging to get the other side and its too cold here for another couple of months to do much but sand.
This is what I ended up doing -- it may not be the best way to go about this. Again, my goal was to make the hull-deck joint waterproof -- not to strengthen it. I knew the hull-deck joint leaked in several places. First, I didn't grind away all of the gel coat. It had already been solvent washed to get rid of the mold release wax back in '99 when I painted the boat. I sanded with 60 grit paper on my 5" sander one and a half inches above and below the joint. Then I put on two layers of 2" fiberglass tape (probably 6 oz.), using epoxy resin.

I've epoxied directly to sanded gel coat over the years with great success. I know most people grind off all of the gel coat first. Gel coat is just pigmented polyester resin. My reasoning is that I didn't know why epoxy resin would bond to unpigmented polyester resin any better than pigmented resin. Of course, I could be wrong.
Jay
Hayes, VA
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Jay,

Again, a very nice job. The galley is VERY ship shape and I love all the stowage you have created. Best of luck and get out there and enjoy her. Keep the pics coming. :-)
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Thanks for that Jay.. Lovely work.