Whitby folkboat...new project

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Monsieur du Nord
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Monsieur du Nord
Boat Type: HR 28

Whitby folkboat...new project

Post by Monsieur du Nord »

just sharing this unusual version of the folkboat...she will make an outstanding sailboat when i am finish...I may even like her more then my HR-28??
01.jpg
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Re: Whitby folkboat...new project

Post by MikeD »

Oh! A Folkboat - and with a cabin?!? More pictures please!!!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ooh, can't wait to "ride along" on your project. I've always thought those looked neat. Rumor has it that the reason the Alberg 30 ballast has an approximately 10" vertical "wall" around the top of it is because they used the Continental ballast pig/mold as a base and just built it up with forms. Sounds (and looked) like a reasonable theory.

Speaking of ballast, does yours have external ballast? I'm pretty sure some of them did have, but I don't know if that holds true for all of them.

Here are some archived photos from Sailing Texas for those who would like to see more. There isn't a galley shot but the ones I've seen have high flats just inside the companionway with the settee/berths running under them (looks like this one is probably that way too).

http://www.sailingtexas.com/swhitby25100.html

Go project!

Rachel
Monsieur du Nord

you are right this was the model they use to built the A30...notable diference is the coaring...this folkboat has non just like my hr28.
the link you shared shows a 1965 model with teak combings and 5.10 headroom...mine is a later 1969 model with 6.1 headroom a deeper cockpit with glass combings...exept for the mahagony rudder all wood inside out is teak.
will post good photos next week.
Monsieur du Nord

hey guys I need advise on what mast I can use for this folkboat...she came with a broken aluminium mast.
any idea would be welcomed.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

If you have the pieces, and they are not too mangled, you may be able to have it sleeved and welded. Lots of masts are done that way if long enough extrusions are not available. Our 1972 Morgan 27 came with a joint and sleeve about 4' above the heel and about 2' below the deck. Our 1970 Lecomte has a mast that was made up from flat stock: bent into an oval section and welded, sleeved at the heel and the top 1/3 is neatly tapered.

Otherwise, start shopping around for a used mast with a similar section. Watch out for the thickness of the metal.

Bon chance!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Monsieur du Nord wrote:you are right this was the model they use to built the A30...notable diference is the coaring...this folkboat has non just like my hr28.
Just to be clear, I was referring to Whitby re-using the ballast pig mold from the Continental, not to the whole boat (although you can see certain builder similarities).

Thanks for the additional info on your boat - including vs. the one I linked to.
Monsieur du Nord

yes I understood...however its a small group of continental folkboat owners from lake ontario that comended Alberg to build a larger version of the folkboat witch gave birth to the alberg 30...so indeed many similarities...whitby stop producing the folkboat because both costed the same to build.
Monsieur du Nord

Quetzalsailor wrote:If you have the pieces, and they are not too mangled, you may be able to have it sleeved and welded. Lots of masts are done that way if long enough extrusions are not available. Our 1972 Morgan 27 came with a joint and sleeve about 4' above the heel and about 2' below the deck. Our 1970 Lecomte has a mast that was made up from flat stock: bent into an oval section and welded, sleeved at the heel and the top 1/3 is neatly tapered.

Otherwise, start shopping around for a used mast with a similar section. Watch out for the thickness of the metal.

Bon chance!
I have almost everything exept 12ft portion of mast...I must find an other.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Monsieur du Nord wrote:yes I understood...however its a small group of continental folkboat owners from lake ontario that comended Alberg to build a larger version of the folkboat witch gave birth to the alberg 30
Ah right, good point!
Monsieur du Nord

today I optained a flag pole...she will be junk rigged.

photos coming asap...family buisiness to care for first.

later cheers
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

I have a source for reasonably priced used mast. If you get me some measurements I may be able to help. Also many other boat salvage parts. It's takes me about three - four weeks to check on availability, as I'm gone for weeks with my job. It would be In GA, the last time I spoke with him he has a means to ship by truck freight.
Monsieur du Nord

I cant find the mesurments thats one reason I am going junk.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Monsieur du Nord wrote:I cant find the mesurments thats one reason I am going junk.
You may have additional reasons for wanting to go with a junk rig, but if it's for lack of measurements, I wonder if you couldn't get pretty close by extrapolating from these?

Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
I = 30.8ft. / 9.39m.
J = 9ft. / 2.74m.
E = 11.8ft. / 3.6m.
P = 26.8ft. / 8.17m.

Est. Forestay Length = 32.09′ / 9.78m

Sail Area =288sq.ft. / 26.76sq.m.
Mainsail Area = 158.12 ft2 / 14.69 m2
Fore Sail Area = 138.6sq.ft. / 12.88sq.m.
Sail Area to Displacement Ratio = 15.28

Scale drawing:
Attachments
continental_25_drawing.jpg
Monsieur du Nord

actualy yes! I love the looks, like the color choices of sunbrella, like the freedom of having no riggings or winches, most of all I like it simple...I just want to get there no rush.
thanks for the info, but just for fun how high would you judge the mast from these info?

my guess is 32ft, if I am over by 1ft then all riggins must be changed right?

rgds
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Monsieur du Nord wrote:... just for fun how high would you judge the mast from these info?
my guess is 32ft, if I am over by 1ft then all riggins must be changed right?
Well, from measuring the drawing I figured around 30'. I used the same scale to measure some of the other dimensions and they also came out close to what they were listed as. So I don't think I'm too far off.

The "I" dimension is listed as 30.8", and as I understand it that is measured along the front of the mast from the genoa halyard to where the main deck would be if there were no deckhouse. So if the 30.8" is accurate, the mast cannot really be 32', and something closer to 30' still seems right to me (this would make the deckhouse about 9" high at that point).

I don't understand what you mean about "all rigging must be changed." I would think that even if the mast were off by a few inches, your chainplate locations would be fine, so you would just need new standing rigging (but you would be getting that anyway, right? I would be getting new standing rigging -- stays, shrouds -- on an older boat with a questionable rigging history regardless, but maybe I'm making an assumption here or misunderstanding your question.

Another thing to check would be the existing sails, if you have them. They might provide some clues or confirmation of the measurements.

Rachel
Monsieur du Nord

standing riggins 1/4in and sails are almost new...in this regard finding a proper mast would be good.

junk rig is for simplicity...its cheap and easy to build...even more to operate.

cheers
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Monsieur du Nord wrote:standing riggins 1/4in and sails are almost new...in this regard finding a proper mast would be good.
Okay, well then here is an idea: You could find a mast that is slightly taller than what you need, and then cut it down to exactly fit your rigging and sails. Usually it's possible to take some off the foot of the mast. New sails and rigging are nothing to sneeze at, for sure!

Junk rig is simple, and I can see where it would be nice to handle underway. On the other hand, there is a certain simplicity in going with the original design, because the coach roof, support, etc. are already set up for it, and you have new rigging and sails.

Either way, it will be fun to watch your progress.

Rachel
Monsieur du Nord

I will be leaving for Asia (many years) so the simple way is best.
thanks will keep you posted...but at this time I have not desided wich of my boats to convert...some advise me to conver my HR28 because of extra storage, others say the folkboat all the way...one experienced sailor who sailed both these models says the HR28 runs circles aronde the folkboat on every levels.

dont know yet..but my hr28 mast fits the folkboat perfect.
cheers
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

I don't know if this helps, but I have a mast from a masthead Triton yawl that I would let go VERY cheap. The mast is in Boston, MA. I don't have the dimensions handy but it's around 30'. If you're interested send me a private message.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl