deleted

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Epoxy/Glass Triton Liner to Cabin Trunk @ Dead Lights

Post by Rachel »

Thank you for starting a thread for this - much appreciated.

I think I see where/why I couldn't picture what you were doing before. I think my brain was "stuck" on the way I would have done it (in my head anyway), and so I couldn't get past that on one part. I still do want to ask one clarification on that, if you don't mind.

I probably would have tried to run the opening-reducing glass first, so that the tail end of it went down into the gap between the cabinside and the liner, and then filled the gap between the cabinside and liner afterward. It seems like you did it the opposite way (which was obviously fine or maybe even preferable), but what I still can't quite wrap my mind around is where the opening-reducing 'glass "went." I can see it ran up onto your plastic-covered 1 x 2 to actually reduce the opening, but where did the other "end" go to give it enough purchase on the boat? Once I figure this out my mind will be able to rest.

(My mind may be "stuck" because I just did a similar job on my fiberglass camper, but in that case the outer wall and the liner were over an inch apart, so I just built up the wall to reduce the wall opening (which was also for a window) by laying in glass against a taped ply mold I had clamped to the outside. So in other words, the "tail" of the glass was able to run down the wall and bond to it in the gap between wall and liner. I had previously used thickened epoxy to put in a "rib" that stiffens that gap, but it was far enough down inside to not be involved at all in the window-opening-reducing operation.)

Also: Great idea for keeping the cabinside and liner spaced perfectly! I love that sort of shop jig that is clever and inexpensive and of which it is easy to quickly make a whole bunch. I'm going to tuck that away in my mental file cabinet. The only thing still rolling around in my head about that is was that initial cut a dado or a rabbet?

Thanks again for the new thread. I take it you were able to get new fasteners that were ALL the SAME length? And it must feel reassuring to have a nice, uniform, wide-enough mating area between port frame and boat.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well it sounds like it will be plenty strong, and after all you did not build up a huge percentage of the perimeter but only one area. I think one of the main things is that you will now have a good base for bedding, and a grip for the screws (not to mention no puzzle of all different-sized fasteners). Cool!
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Very nice work Glenn, with the opening now flat there will be a better bite on the plexiglass and the frame will not be distorted clamping the glass, providing an excellent water tight seal.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

Glenn,

Thanks for documenting your project with details and photos. I am about to embark on my own project (converting a west coast Triton with frameless windows to ones with bronze frames). I saw another Pearson Ariel (Little Gull owned by Ebb) that took the same approach that resulted in very strong and elegant windows.

Best,

Ray
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Triton106 wrote:...I am about to embark on my own project (converting a west coast Triton with frameless windows to ones with bronze frames). I saw another Pearson Ariel (Little Gull owned by Ebb) that took the same approach that resulted in very strong and elegant windows....
Ray, didn't Ebb do the opposite, that is he REMOVED his frames in favor of frameless bolted on portlights? I suppose this is cross-forum talk now, but if he did stay with his frames, please post pics! With all the excellent work he does, he rarely treats us with pictures. If you have some, please share! Thanks!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Mike,

Sorry, I re-read my posting and realized that it is rather confusing. What I meant to say is that Ebb took the same approach to fill and gap between the hull and lining to make the window opening width consistent. He described a process which is very similar to what Glenn did. Here is a picture from his postings.

And, BTW, he kept his frames (but powder coated them)... Here is a picture of it.

Best,

Ray
Ray D. Chang
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I, too, thought I remembered Ebb saying he had changed his mind on the ports too, so of course it began to bug me and I had to look.

Here is what he had to say in 2009 during a discussion of bedding port frames, etc. I don't know if he has changed his mind since then though - he did sound a bit un-decided.
Ebb on the Ariel forum wrote:I'm slabbing on the lexan (doesn't sound very elegant) so the beautyful frames (I give them a 90% grade) won't be used.
That's the plan.

BUT just in case, I feel I have to hold on to them for a little while longer because an albergeze aesthetic embarrassment storm might hit me.
Those aluminum frames were altered before powder coating to take thrubolts (machine screws), so they have holes in them!!!!
Ironically (for this forum) it was in a thread called "Silicone is Truly Evil." Heh. This was the post right after one where that nice photo of Ebb's frames was shown.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/ ... #post20409
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Rachael, Mike, you are right. I stand corrected, although I am not sure if Ebb has finally bolted Lexan windows on Little Gull yet. I went to see his boat last year with my friend Rob. I don't remember he had the windows done yet at that point.
Ray D. Chang
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Glenn, et all,

In reglassing the cabin trunk to the liner should the ultimate thickness be equal to the thickness of the lense (polycarbonate or acrylic)? it would seem that otherwise the inside half and the outside half of the frame pairs will not be exactly parallel if cabin trunk is thicker or thinner than the lense. I am getting ready to prepare the cabin trunk for installing the new deadlights with my newly purchased bronze frames.

Thanks,

Ray
Ray D. Chang
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Glenn, thanks and I will take some pictures. The original hull and lining combined thickness is about 5/16" (pretty consistent) the lense is 3/8". So between yesterday and today I enlarged my west coast Triton openings to match the east coast Triton frames (about 1" in height). I then glassed in around the opening an inch wide 1708 bixial between the hull and the lining to increase the combined thickness to 3/8". I will trim route the opening next weekend before bedding the frames and glasses in.
Ray D. Chang