1964 Hinterhoeller 28 hull #9

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Monsieur du Nord
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Monsieur du Nord
Boat Type: HR 28

1964 Hinterhoeller 28 hull #9

Post by Monsieur du Nord »

Hello from Montreal
First let me say thank you! For your time, your inspiration and your willingness to share, for this I am grateful to all here. This being said! Here is my love a 1964 Hinterhoeller 28, this is how she was when I obtained her, I am slowly but surely making progress in major refit and hope to share with you guys here. This boat has no core whatsoever, non on deck and non on hull, she’s all fiberglass, I think the wood work is teak? Not sure! Anyway a lot of it will be replaced with oak and mahogany. I am presently redoing the toe rail and building a taff rail around the cockpit as seen on some Formosa. I Will post updates as I am progressing.
Attachments
bgt 008.JPG
bgt 006.JPG
bgt 007.JPG
bgt 009.JPG
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: 1964 Hinterhoeller 28 hull #9

Post by Rachel »

Bienvenue!

It's always fun to have a new member with a project to follow. Thanks for the photos; looks like you have some nice joinery below.

We have at least one other member with a Hinterhoeller, and I belive his also has un-cored decks. I'm interested to know how they get the stiffness.. is it by pure thickness? Beams? Or...?

Again, welcome!
Monsieur du Nord

Well there is a bulkhead that seals the lazarett from the cockpit (right at my girlfriend’s feet) then another bulkhead that seals the cockpit from cabin between the hatch and companionway. Bulkheads on each side’s located right under the walkway (see interior photo)
Then bulkheads from stove and sink, the main bulkhead and one more after the head, V-berth has 5 teak cross members (above my head in photo) This boat is extremely solid wherever you walk, an almost concrete feel. Don’t know the thickness but I guess 1/4in? Maybe more at places, because you feel absolutely no flex on deck. not a very nice interior but solid.

rgds
Attachments
yhu 014.JPG
yhu 012.JPG
Monsieur du Nord

Sorry I don’t have better photo’s, hope you can figure out how the boat is configured for stiffness. All bulkheads are glassed to the hull and water tight, the salon bunks are about 8ft by 32in?? Enough for me to sleep comfy.
I am doing a lot of refit on this boat, many new ideas I am eager to share in photos.
Homemade opening ports! New design cooking station that converts into fire pit (ambience & heat)
Soon enough!!
Meanwhile i’l keep reading and learning

cheers
Attachments
002.JPG
001.JPG
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

Oak?

What kind of oak?

And in what application? (E.g., exterior? Interior? Structural? Decorative?)

White oak: ok.

Red oak: no way.

If at all possible (and it is, for a price), stick with teak, mahogany, angelique...
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Monsieur du Nord

I wanted to use comonly available woods for my taff rail and some interior woodwork. floor, port frames, cabinet doors.

hears a similar to the taff rail I want to build.
(its not my photo, from net) hope this is ok?

thanks for your advise...I dont know frak about wood (but I love it)

rgds
Attachments
new-deck-for-kentish-maid-p2-06.jpg
ILikeRust

Post by ILikeRust »

For something like that, I would stick with teak or angelique.

You do not want red oak on your boat. Red oak is not rot-resistant and does not weather well. Not only that, it is what's known as a ring-porous wood, which makes it grainy and porous. It tends to be stringy and splintery to work with, and if it gets wet, it quickly turns grey, and if left wet, will turn black. Then it will start to rot.

White oak is much, much more rot-resistant and much nicer to work with. It also is quite strong. White oak is one of the woods traditionally used for framing out wooden boats. It's not typically used as a "show" wood, though, such as on your rail there. One issue with white oak is that it can be difficult to get adhesives to adhere well to it.

Teak, of course, is the traditional wood to use for exposed surfaces and structures on boats. It's naturally oily and dense, so it does not absorb water and is highly rot-resistant. It is, however, expensive, and can dull your tools more quickly than most other woods. It also has a potential issue with adhesives sticking, but that can be dealt with by cleaning the faying surfaces with acetone first to remove surface oils just before applying the adhesive.

Mahogany is fantastic wood to work with and also is a traditional boat-building wood, but it is not as heavy, hard or dense as teak and is not as strong, for structural elements. The previous owner of my boat replaced the toe rails with Honduran mahogany and they're beautiful (although I do need to revarnish them now).
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Monsieur du Nord

Thank you Bill
I beleave the taff rail on photo is Honduran mahogony?

on my island trader it is teak, I think?

cheers
ILikeRust

Post by ILikeRust »

Yeah, that looks like it could be Honduran mahogany. Beautiful stuff and a little harder and stronger than some of the other mahoganys.

The trouble with "mahogany" is that there are various woods that people refer to as "mahogany." Some mahoganies are actually pretty soft. I have some in my wood shop at home that is absolutely wonderful stuff to work with, but it will dent easily and I would not use it for that rail.

By the same token, some of the "Honduran" mahogany can look almost like American cherry, and can be nearly as hard and strong.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

Monsieur du Nord

other then teak...what is your recomendation??
I also have half of my island trader's taff rail to rebuilt and can't find teak in montreal.

rgds
Attachments
IMG_0331.JPG
ILikeRust

Post by ILikeRust »

Well, I'm not a master shipwright or anything, but I do know that there are choices for something like that. It largely depends on what you want it to look like. It's hard to go wrong with teak or Honduras mahogany for that nice, traditional sailboat look.

I would do some internet searching - you will find there are suppliers on-line, and you might be pleasantly surprised to find one somewhere not too far from you that you didn't know about.

I actually just recently found a guy selling rough-sawn teak and mahogany on Craig's list, only about 20 miles from my house! And this is in a pretty rural central Virginia county, 100 miles from the Chesapeake Bay.

You might look for white oak, which I would think might be easier to find up there. But as I said above, I've never seen it used above deck on something as visible as a rail. It is often used for framing, though.

You actually could build that out of Douglas Fir or Southern Yellow Pine. Although they technically are "softwoods," both actually are pretty tough and hard. If the wood is carefully selected and milled, it could look pretty nice, but it's not going to be as pretty as that Honduran mahogany.

No matter what you use, you'll have to keep it well varnished (or Cetol'd) if you want it finished bright like that.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

Monsieur du Nord

yellow pine was my first choice ( available and cheep) Thanks for your help!
cheers