Wiring

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Wiring

Post by Skipper599 »

OK people, here's the challenge. To route 12v wiring from under deck, using the pulpit hand rail as a conduit (for the nav light on the forward end) without having some ugly, toe stubbing contraption mounted on the deck.

The wiring must transit through the deck directly under the s.s. leg of the pulpit, and ahead of the aluminum yardstick (indicating the bulkhead position) to enter the chain locker where the interior wiring exists for this nav light.
The deck at this point is 3/8" solid fiberglass with 7/16" teak decking over top.

Obviously, I want this to be as compact and neat as possible, and also to remain totally watertight. I don't really want a through-deck conduit tube as that can also enable water entry.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a couple pieces of 1/8" bronze, threaded-rod, installed through the deck, permanently sealed in, with nuts and washers above and below deck creating "terminals" to attach the wiring. - - - Naturally, there would have to be some sort of protection cover on deck, maybe epoxied over? - - - Is this a good idea or not? - - - All other ideas will be considered
Attachments
DSCN3306.JPG
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Wiring

Post by Skipper599 »

Hey, thanks for your input Glenn, I'll probably go with the brake tube conduit as access in the chain locker is not possible to drill up through, and the idea of drilling down from the cap rail is also a no-go, simply because it is impossible to drill through the f/g gunn'l. eg: too long a drill hole and the gunn'l is formed by the exterior hull bonded to the deck moulding, with no space in between. Like as not I would never be able to keep the drill "on track" even I had a drill bit long enough for the job.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.