Trim

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Trim

Post by Skipper599 »

OK, I've cut this large hole in the transom so that the tiller can fit into the rudder stock. Now I'm wondering how to "finish" the f/g edges. The easiest way would be to use some flexible vinyl or nylon channel. All I need is approx 38 inches. Unfortunately, Worst Marine only sell in 25 ft lengths.
As there is lots of teak on this boat, I've considered teak channel trim but this would require that I would need to make it. The biggest challenge in doing so would be making the radiused corners. Any other thoughts out there?

I'll put up some pics to show what I'm dealing with.
DSCN1903.JPG
Attachments
DSCN3305.JPG
DSCN3304.JPG
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Trim

Post by ILikeRust »

Do a little research on template routing. You can make a template from that hole, using a piece of tempered hardboard (e.g., Masonite) and use a bearing-guided router bit with template routing collars to make pieces that will match it perfectly, then epoxy them in.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

How about just rounding the fiberglass edges, fairing them, and finishing as you do the rest of the boat? If there is going to be a lot of abrasion that probably wouldn't work very well, but I don't know if there will be. You could also make the edges a little "fatter" in the process so there was less of a "point" for wear.

I would dislike the "trim lok" type edging, as it looks "cheap" to me, gets dirt on and around it, and typically the metal inside (that makes it clamp) is not stainless.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks for that info Rachel, I was wondering about that Trimlok material, and you've confirmed my suspicions about it not being s.s.

Your idea about 'rounding' it off is an option I had not considered, but I'm going to investigate making teak trim first. There is a slight space between the deck assy and the outer hull assembly. I shall have to seal that off with epoxy or something.

Anyway, I'm open to all possibilities.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

ILikeRust wrote:Do a little research on template routing. You can make a template from that hole, using a piece of tempered hardboard (e.g., Masonite) and use a bearing-guided router bit with template routing collars to make pieces that will match it perfectly, then epoxy them in.

I tried your suggestion Bill but got no response from anyone on the Router forum.
I wanted to use teak trim because I'm happier making sawdust than messing about with chemicals however, I do believe I will now use Rachel's suggestion because of its simplicity.
I wonder if one can purchase small quantities of gel-coat?

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks for the links Northstar. Looks exactly what I shall need to do this small job.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'