Rehab of the head vanity

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Rehab of the head vanity

Post by earlylight »

In Sept. 2010 I decided to rehab the head vanity aboard Early Light (my 1982 Sabre 34 MK I) It was beginning to get a little shabby and was showing her 28 years of use. The laminate on the vanity counter top was ugly at best. The fixtures were very dated and in need of upgrading as the chrome plating was getting extremely pitted.

I started by removing the teak fiddle and the original faucet/shower fixture, the whale foot pump spigot and the stainless steel sink from the vanity top. Removing the fixture left a large rectangular hole as shown here.Image.

I plugged this using a scrap of 1/2 inch marine ply that was shaped to fit the hole and then epoxied in place using thickened West System epoxy. Image

A trip to a local custom kitchen and bath cabinet shop proved fruitful in obtaining a small piece of laminate cutoff for short money that was to my liking, After roughing up the original laminate with 60 grit on my random orbit sander this new laminate was applied over the original using contact cement. Image

A new Scandvik faucet with integrated shower head was purchased from Defender and a liquid soap dispenser for shower gel to mount on the new vanity top was purchased from ACE Hardware. The original Whale spigot for the foot pump was cleaned up and retained for reuse.

The new laminate was cut to accept the sink and the holes for the whale spigot and the soap dispenser were cut using appropriate hole saws.

The sink, fixtures, spigot and soap dispenser were installed as shown here.Image

The the original fiddle was reattached and the screw holes were plugged with teak bungs. I also added 3/8" x 3/8" teak quarter round molding to the back and left side of the vanity top.
This is the completed project.Image

Total cost of the makeover was approximately $150 and took 5 man hours exclusive of varnishing. Best of all, the Admiral likes it. :-)
Last edited by earlylight on Sat May 07, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Rehab of the head vanity

Post by Rachel »

Tidy! Also amazingly quick and thrifty (but without coming off as "cheap").

Always nice to get a photo-report :)

Rachel
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Looking good!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel wrote:Always nice to get a photo-report :)
Hmmm, all I see is the word "image", I don't see any pictures.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

Looking good!

I'm planning on doing a similar rehab of our galley countertop. It's even older - coming up on 43 years now. White laminate that is looking very tired, indeed. Being that there is a little cupboard on top of the countertop, to completely re-do it would require tearing out some cabinetry, but I don't want to go that far. So I figure I'll make a template and trace around the cabinet sides, and then do exactly as you did - rough up the existing laminate and lay down a new one on top.

Maybe in the fall; maybe over the winter; maybe next year...

Right now I just want to get the current projects done and get the boat back in the water so I can GO SAILING!!
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by jlroberts280 »

I only see "image" but imagine it looks good
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

For those of you only seeing "image," there is a trick that sometimes works for me (I'm seeing it this time but sometimes have this problem with other images). What I do is right click and select "view image" and then it will often load.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Thanks Rachel. But when I do that I get a new web page that wants to help me set up my own server.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, that's obviously not right! I have to run right now, but if I get a chance later I'll download them and re-post them. We can't be depriving any forum members of project update photos - that's just not right.
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

If you are having problems viewing images, try right clicking on the word "image" and then click on "copy image location". Then paste into the URL or Location box in your browser and open the image
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

That worked (copying the image location into a new browser tab) - thanks.

Great job!