Cape Cod Marlin refit

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Cape Cod Marlin refit

Post by Brodie »

OK so I've been meaning to post some pics from my refit two years ago, and I feel like procrastinating rather than working on the dissertation so here goes:

Story: I bought my Marlin (1965, hull #78) in the fall of 2006. Sailed it for a week before it was hauled, just long enough to figure out what didn't work and needed to be replaced. Which ended up being pretty much everything in the running rigging. I sail alone most of the time, and much of the remainder is with people who don't know how to sail, so everything needs to work well and easily. The good points of the boat were that the mast had been replaced about 10 years or so before I bought the boat, and at that time a short bowsprit had been added to help with the weather helm issue. Also, the hull had been painted about then, too, although the decks are original gelcoat (and very scary looking), and all the nice teak is not only Cetol'ed (ugh) but prior to that must have been scrubbed by an over-zealous owner so is all grooved. Consequently with the orangy Cetol, up close it looks like that bad vinyl siding with the fake wood grain molded in. Oh well.

Here she is when I bought her. Note the lifelines (really? on a 23' daysailer??), those were the first thing I took off! What you can't see are the ancient bronze winches, the tattered sail cover, the ancient mainsail and boom, and the three strand line on the mainsheet. But she's purty!
First project over the winter was to strip and refinish the cabin doors. Much better without that godawful Cetol!
This is what the cabin looked like. The head discharges directly overboard! I filled it with expanding foam to make it unuseable in case the Coast Guard ever checks.
The original primary winches:
Re-filled the seam between the ballast keel and the hull. Before you ask, I don't remember what I used. I can tell you that it has held up very well after two summers and the paint sticks to it fine.
Cabin cleaned, sanded and primed...what a difference! (Thanks mom)
Bottom paint going on. The bottom isn't in great shape but it's not horrible, and I'm not that picky. We did scrape and sand off the loose stuff, and put two coats of new paint on. It has held up well, one new coat this past summer and it's doing fine.
Starting to look better! We let the hull-keel joint dry for a good week before painting it over.
Bottom done. Here you can see how far forward the rudder is and also how raked the rudderpost is. No wonder she's got a bit of weather helm, particularly since the boom is 11' long...
In this pic you can see the outboard bracket on the stern (as well as the old name). The boat also has a well in the cockpit that is much easier to use, as there is no way one could steer and reach the outboard on the bracket at the same time. So I decided to remove the bracket. Unfortunately the bracket didn't really want to come off, and left me with the mess seen in the bottom pic; this is after sanding off the remaining teak residue glued to the hull
Phase one of the epoxying:
And I'll just skip to the finished product. Much better!
New winches, Lewmar #16ST's. These things are awesome. Can't imagine sailing without them. Boy were they a pain in the butt to get on the boat, though. You can see the bare teak where the old winch bases were just forward of the new ones.
Cabin doors completed. We also repainted the nonskid on the cockpit seats and sole but I didn't get any pics.
In the water, finally! New boom and mainsail, and nearly all the running rigging was replaced as well.
First sail after the refit. Having a vang with an 11' boom is really a necessity....not sure how no one else added one in 40+ years.
A couple shots on the mooring:
Image[/img]
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Love the transom!!

Love the boat!

Nice job!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kendall
Master Varnisher

Post by kendall »

sweet looking boat! that bare strip gives it a very unique look.

Great job on her.

Ken.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Brodie wrote:Much better without that godawful Cetol!
Words to live by!
Brodie wrote:New winches, Lewmar #16ST's....Boy were they a pain in the butt to get on the boat, though.
Why? Just curious.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Don't knockvbthe Cetol until you have tried the new natural teak flavor. None of that orangey-ness. I'll let you know how it holds up. Here is some on Andiamo.

Coamings are old cetol, rails and hatches are new natural teak with a couple coats of clear.

Here is a shot:

and another:

Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

I agree transom looks great and l like the hollow bow, very Herreshoff!

Neat boat.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Brodie wrote:
New winches, Lewmar #16ST's....Boy were they a pain in the butt to get on the boat, though.

Why? Just curious.
Well, first let me explain that I am about as mechanically inclined as a fish. I can clean and assemble and sand and paint with the best of them, but anything involving small parts and power tools is not my forte. I've had one other boat with winches and I never took them apart. My dad and my boyfriend got the old winches off, but the fiberglass bases they were on were dead, and the teak base below was too low to put the new winches directly onto them. So I bought those nice (and expensive) bronze bases, which a friend of mine drilled the holes in and helped me mount the winches to. That took three hours between drilling the holes, realizing that the bolts I had bought were the wrong kind (frantic trip to West Marine) and then vainly trying to reassemble the winches before we realized that Lewmar winches are not radially symmetrical and only will go back together one way. Then, of course, the new bases were too high to mount on the old teak ones, the upper mounting bolts would have been less than 1" from the top of the coaming and I was worried about it splitting. But....the side decks on this boat are too narrow to mount the bases directly on the deck (they are only about 6" wide). After much head scratching, my boyfriend (whose backyard the boat lives in during the winter) came out of his garage with a piece of scrap teak (he's a packrat that used to work at a marina) that was EXACTLY the height of the toerail.... So we cut two ~8" pieces and used them as filler blocks next to the toerail to mount the winch base through. We considered removing one layer of the old teak bases but the bolts that hadn't seen daylight in 42 years had other ideas.

To most of the folks on this site all of the above is probably child's play but it was a major adventure for me! I did learn a lot, though, and it was a lot of fun. I'll be asking many questions next spring as I should probably take the winches apart to clean them and I have essentially no idea how to do that, although I can at least disassemble them now.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

To most of the folks on this site all of the above is probably child's play but it was a major adventure for me! I did learn a lot, though, and it was a lot of fun.
It's a good thing you found it fun (if frustrating), because I think you just described an experience like many, many of the jobs I've done on my boat over the years! And I don't think the work you describe would have been child's play for everyone here, although certainly once you've stumbled through a task for the first time you can anticipate a little more next time. So when you're ready to install new winches, you'll be all set!

Nice job so far on Starry Night. Nice shot of the Newport Bridge through the sails!

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

You did a beautiful job. No one would ever know you were "as mechanically inclined as a fish."

Enjoy the boat!
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Beautiful boat!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Very nice! I'm re-doing the interior of my Cape Cod this winter. We should ask Tom Javor if next years Herreshoff Rendevouz will allow these hulls to race - they have Sea Sprites and Marshall Cats now.... :-)
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Aha....is that a Blue Chip 30 in your avatar? I'd love to see one in person sometime as it's a big version of my boat. For that matter I'd like to see another Marlin, too, as I've never seen one besides mine.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yep she's a Blue Chip 30....Where are you located?

Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

That's funny, my previous boat (a Doughdish) was named Winsome
Where are you located?

Hint, hint...
Adam

Post by Adam »

She's documented Cohasset, MA (on the hard in Hingham). If I get the Galley/interior finished this winter, I'm going to try and bring her to the Herreshoff Rendezvous next year....Grew up on 12 1/2's and later Doughdish's....