10 days in the yard

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

10 days in the yard

Post by s/v Groovy »

It has been a long time since a post, I really need to say Thank You to all for keeping me inspired by all the great work being done out there. There is no way I could have completed this without what I have learned here.

My job keeps me too busy these days and this was all done in the evenings and weekends.

I really needed new bottom paint, but since it's all connected...

With weather cooperating, and after 10 days in the boatyard I...

repainted the decks, removing and rebedding all hardware
new bottom paint
sanded, rubbed, and waxed the topsides
stripped, sanded, and oiled the toerail
removed and revarnished all cockpit wood
replaced the rudder bearings
added the name to her transom...

before,

after,

Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Very nice!
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Triton 185
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Well done...you have done a lot of work in a short time. Hope you get some sleep when she is back in the water.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I know! I read that list and was thinking it might easily have taken 10 months, not 10 days.

I love the "font" you used for the name; very groovy. Did you make that yourself?

As an aside, we used to make our own kayaks out of fiberglass in Ye Olde Days, and for a while there was a bit of a craze for using some wild, printed "windbreaker" fabric for the first (outside) layer. That resulted in boats known as "Flower Power," "Stained Glass," etc. :D
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

You did have a busy 10 days. Looks great! Your name looks like it was painted on Goldie Hawn in her early TV days. (dating myself as well as the word 'groovy')
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Interesting way to attach the forward lifelines to the pulpit. I've been mulling how I'm going to lower the forward ends of mine. What sort of hardware did you use to attach the turnbuckle to the leg of your bow pulpit?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Yes, very busy, up @ 6 to worked 7-3, boatyard 3:30 - 9:30 or 10 (I got locked in twice) in bed by 11 usually, and long weekend days. I couldn't have done it without my Wife whom held the other end of the hardware while I either removed or reattached it, she also did the toe rail oiling. I wanted to paint the bilge and was going to varnish the toe rail, but I decided to oil any wood I cant remove. The bilge is cleaned but not painted, next time.

I still have to polish the cabin and cockpit gel coat, and gelcoat the void repairs I did along the topside edge, just under the toe rail. Anything I could do while back in the slip I'll do there. I don't think I would have been nearly as motivated without the $25/day boatyard fee. I've seen what can be done with here planning and a worklist.

The deck painting was by far the biggest part of the job, mostly the hardware and prep work. I could have let it cure longer, but after a few touchups it will be fine. A PO painted blue over the original blue nonskid without removing any hardware

The name is a sticker a friend designed based on a font and a piece of retro fabric I found. A sticker shop printed it for $60, like a photo, said it should last 5 years in the sun.

I ran the lifelines to the outside of the pulpit so I could but the 6'7" inflatable up there if I wanted too (just fits). There is an attachment point and then a turnbuckle up there.

I did have the help of my new Fein orbital sander & vacuum and a multimaster (great tools).

Aside from the lack of sleep, scrapes and bruises, my hands and wrists took the brunt of all the work, but after a few days rest are feeling better

I also scraped and polished the prop, lets see if the barnacles can grab onto that, somehow I think they still will get a hold...

Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Oh, I also need to mention my lucky boatyard hat....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

It co-ordinates nicely with Britton's socks.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

I read a report a number of years ago by some chemists who were trying to synthesize the glue that barnacles and oysters use. They had encountered endless problems but they had several pages of glowing reports on what a fabulous adhesive it is. Works under salt water, nearly instantly, adheres through slime to almost any surface, rough or smooth....

Tim J