My project this spring was pulling my engine out.

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

My project this spring was pulling my engine out.

Post by Tom Young »

It began serving notice a couple of years ago that it needed a possible rebuilding or replacment. Despite new injectors last season, smoking increased to an intolerable point.

Looking into a new engine, I quickly decided the cost was more than we needed to make for how we use the boat. Not only that, as I would have done most of the installation, the entire change over of new systems would have taken alot of time for me to perform.

A 1974 Chrysler/Nissan diesel, I decided with parts readily available, and the fact I liked the way the engine ran, I started looking for someone to rebuild it. After several dead ends, I chanced upon a mechanic who worked for Nissan. Not only were these engines built for industrial purposes, generators, water pumps, marine applications, they were also an option in Nissan Pickup trucks for several years.

He had serviced a new truck that had few miles and bought it when the body rotted out. He planed to install it at some point and never did. The well maintained engine had the equivalent of few hours. To make the story short, I ran it and bought it from him.

Alot of work was involved in tearing down each engine and rebuilding. Even the diesel injection pumps had to be switched (the industrial/marine a simple IP a simple manual governor)as well as of course, marine manifold, oil, fuel and air filter set ups, linkages, etc. But this was amazingly easy and pleasant work to do with the engines hanging in my shop at standing height.

Finally, last week I was able to drop the replacement into my truck and take it to the boat.

http://949.reno2.com/download/file.php?id=65&t=1

Then after a day and a half of installing transmission, engine alignment, reconnection of all fuel, water, exhaust, wires, etc, etc,, I fired it up.

Unlike the old engine that stammered to life cylinder by cylinder, all four took off smoothly. It's very smooth and best of all, no smoke.

Anyway, it's all behind me now, but my hands still hurt.

http://949.reno2.com/download/file.php?id=64&mode=view
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Nicely done! I am everything but a mechanic. I fixed my little Suzuki outboard last week. I know how good that made me feel. I can appreciate how such a successful job made you feel (other than the sore hands--they heal eventually)!

When do you launch?
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Tom Young

Hi Doug, fairly soon now.

Post by Tom Young »

Our old boat takes a little more work. It has alot of wood that needs preserving. But it's enjoyable stuff to do. I should launch in a week.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

The "new" engine looks great, Tom! That was a great score (and project) since it fit right into place once you were done.

Also, that photo reminded me of that nifty lift-out sink/drain board you made. (I read your article about it in Good Old Boat years ago.) It's one of those ideas I filed away in my mental cabinet.

Rachel