The Kaholee Project

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I've modified my description to better indicate the uses that are teed off the single raw-water intake. I saw no reason to install a separate through hull based on the proposed use.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

I've modified my description to better indicate the uses that are teed off the single raw-water intake.
I'm sorry Tim, I must be dense. Are the galley and cockpit saltwater shower pump fed from one raw water intake and raw water strainer while the engine is fed from a seperate raw water feed and strainer? Or is it that the feed for the galley and cockpit is taken off a tee in the line from the thru-hull for the engine before the engine's raw water strainer?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Just in case anyone isn't following along, the final push is on. Looks like Allen is getting in the mood for that Caribbean cruise too...

Is there a launch date?

Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Wow, he coordinates his socks with his towels (rug)! We could have another "sock" avatar here :D

Looking good!

R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Interesting socks are a defining part of Triton ownership.

So was there a specific reason for choosing a non LPU paint for the mast or simply a matter of convenience and acceptability?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Allen

Post by Allen »

Launch date is set for the 22May in Rockland where I will stay for awhile on a mooring at Beggar's Wharf Marina. We will then pull Kaholee and head overland to Havre de Grace on the upper Chesapeake Bay.

Sock-wise, I usually don't wear them, but the few I do have are, um, colorful to say the least. :D

I may have to steal that towel from Tim. ;)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

You must be thrilled! It has sure been fun watching Tim upgrade your boat. All I can say after seeing her is "WOW!" - she's truly one of a kind. Many hearty congrats and fair winds!

PS. Please bring along a camera and throw us dirt dwellers a vicarious cruising bone once in a while, would ya?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
David

Question about your traveller

Post by David »

Allen,

Looking over Tim's excellent descriptions of your project, i was curious how you plan to bring the mainsheet down from the traveller car to the cabintop so it can lead aft to a winch or cleat?

Thanks,

David
Allen

Post by Allen »

Mike, thanks and yes it's like being 5 years old on Christmas eve. It's been almost ten years since Kaholee was last afloat and here we are nearly ready to launch but it seems like the list of last minute things to do keeps growing exponentially. :)

I do intend to post pictures of our adventures and have a brand new digital SLR camera for just that purpose. I also bought one of those SPOT gizmos so I can post our track on Google Map, although I need to figure out exactly how that works between now and departure day.

David, Tim and I were discussing this just the other day. The plan is to run the sheet forward to the mast, then back under the dodger at a fixed point so the sheet position remains static. Rigging the mast and boom is the last critical thing to do. We plan to have the mast done before launch, and the boom and deck rigging squared away shortly thereafter.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Clarify

Post by vindo40 »

Tim
I am a little confused now... This is the product I am using for fairing and it is very white !!! Do you think it's not the right one ? This company does not have that red one you use. Can you give me clarification about this please?

Allen

Post by Allen »

This is the first SPOT check. ;) We will do the tracking test when we launch and motor to our buoy on the 22nd.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl ... LEEsJNWlS9
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Bookmarked.

You will never be lost again :-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Allen

Post by Allen »

Morning Britton, this SPOT gadget is kind of interesting and is "almost" a replacement for an EPIRB. The link is to the "check in" function which is a one shot thing. There is also a tracking function which transmits a waypoint every ten minutes or so which sounds kind of interesting. It also has a "help" button which transmits to specific people which you designate on their website and a "911" button which transmits to a monitoring location where they contact the local EMS personnel. I got the unit from West Marine for $132 (price matching from an online source) and of course there is the annual fee. I got the whole shooting match including the EMS insurance which is very inexpensive for the first year then goes up, but all in all, it is less expensive then an EPIRB. For those interested, here's their URL.

http://www.findmespot.com

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

main sail

Post by jollyboat »

Allen, Tim
How is the main
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Allen

Post by Allen »

Hi Brian,

Haven't got it up yet, but it looks great in the bag. We are going to launch then finish the rigging and set the sail. I'll post a picture once we do.

BTW, I have a Latitude 38 from Dec. 93 with a great Atomic 4 article for you. Email Tim your mailing address and I'll send it along.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Does anyone know where Tim is? Has he gone hiding? I haven't seen any new postings on either the Bolero or the Keyholee projects or the forum. I am starting to have the infotainment withdrawal.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

He was driving Iota home. I'm not sure when he plans on being back. Shouldn't be too long.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

Triton106 wrote:Does anyone know where Tim is? Has he gone hiding? I haven't seen any new postings on either the Bolero or the Keyholee projects or the forum. I am starting to have the infotainment withdrawal.
Still kicking and working to finish the punch list before Thursday's splash date for Kaholee. With Allen on site and involved every day, I haven't seen the need for daily updates, but am admittedly behind on my weekly updates for Kaholee. I'll rectify that this morning if I can.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Tim, I know you're a bit busy at the moment, but when you have time could you tell us how you installed the blinds and perhaps a source? They look really sharp.

And of course, there's Glissando's installation...

-- Edit --------
Found the blinds source on Tim's Glissando site: http://www.smithandnoble.com/
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Admittedly this is a tangent, but I'm not sure it's worthy of it's own thread.

I have a question about those little "ledges" that you can see in the Glissando photo above. These would be the flat surfaces just above the settee backs and below the underdeck lockers.

How useful do those ledges end up being, in practice? I imagine that thigns would fall off underway, but do you use them quite a bit at anchor? For "stuff"? For an elbow when you're reading? In retrospect, would you make the lockers a bit larger and the ledges a bit smaller? Vice-versa? (Of course there's visual effect at work also, but I'm thinking more of functionality.)

Oh, and I realize that this is wickedly subjective, but I still want to ask

(I found similar ledges useful on a larger boat, but then you're giving up less to get them when you have more space to begin with.)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

If nothing else they break up the flat face of the settee backs. Without them the settee back surface might continue right up to the deck which would be a pretty boring look IMHO.

I always thought a stout lip on that little ledge would make a great handhold for when the boat had a rail under or was otherwise not completely upright. The overhead handholds aren't really in a good spot after 30 degrees of heel. Again, just my humble opinion.

Note: I have rarely experienced and don't really expect to sail at 30+ degrees of heel if I can help it.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:I always thought a stout lip on that little ledge would make a great handhold for when the boat had a rail under or was otherwise not completely upright. The overhead handholds aren't really in a good spot after 30 degrees of heel.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm 5'5" and overhead hand-holds are useless for me in a seaway (except to dry socks on). The ones I've liked best were a stout set of the wooden "gutters" you sometimes see running along the line where the cabin-sides run under and become the deck. I think a set of handrails mounted just above that turn (i.e. on the cabin-sides just below the fixed ports) would work well too, in lieu of the gutters, though I haven't used them.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:If nothing else they break up the flat face of the settee backs. Without them the settee back surface might continue right up to the deck which would be a pretty boring look IMHO.
Just for fun, here's Atom, of which I've always liked the look. I guess the back cushions handle the "breaking up the line" part.

Tim, Glissando really is pretty. That cushion fabric was a great choice (not to mention the rest of it).

bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I think a set of handrails mounted just above that turn (i.e. on the cabin-sides just below the fixed ports) would work well too
On my Triton, which has the settees basically at the original height, my head would bang into those handrails when sitting. I considered it at one point but it wasn't a good option for me.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

here's Atom, of which I've always liked the look
A very good way to go when re-doing the Triton interior. A coat of white paint and some nice varnish accents but otherwise pretty stock. Anything else is ten times more work and 10% more functionality :-) Not that I have regrets. I love how my 10% is coming along.

You can't say it doesn't work well either. No one has gone farther than James in that boat so it must be a reasonably decent way to go.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Do you mean if they were where you can see them on Atom, you'd hit your head on them? Or did it sound like I meant to mount them under the deck...

I haven't been on a Triton for awhile, so I forget the scale.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Let's try and keep things more on the specific topic, please. Start a new thread if need be.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

SPLASH!

Congratulations Allen!
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

Tim and Allen,

congrats upon the placing of Kaholee back in her proper element. Just as planes look more graceful when flying, boats look as they should when floating upon the flat line of the water. While I understand that trailers and travel lifts have their place in the modern world, it must have been something to work on a boat just above the high tide line, always within the smell of the water, then with heart in throat and a bash of champagne, you knock the blocks and send her sliding down the ways. RuumbbBBBLLLEEEEE SPLASH!!! . The easy immersion of the lift seems cleansed of the chaos. I do have to say that i have never seen a boat dropped so I imagine that would be dramatic.

Well... there she is. Kaholee. Just a bobbing like a frisky 10 year old mare, tacked up ready for the trail. Yes siree... well done
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Let me add my congratulations as well to Tim and Allen! Thank you both for sharing this incredible journey with us. I certainly learned a great deal and enjoyed reading the progress with every posting. I am just green with envy, maybe someday Blossom can go through a major refit like that, maybe...
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
jollyboat

Pictures?

Post by jollyboat »

Are there pictures of this event
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

I just checked his SPOT page. It shows him just off the shore. Too cool.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
jollyboat

spot check

Post by jollyboat »

Oh that is cool - very cool. Another "must have gadget" for JOLLYBOAT
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Yippie!

Allen

Post by Allen »

Yes, we are afloat at last! :D This is from KAHOLEE via laptop and cellphone and let me assure you life is good! :D

Thanks to everyone for the compliments, it has been a long time since KAHOLEE was last afloat and I must admit, thanks to Tim, well worth the wait. The project is not quite finished, rigging and some systems items remain, but she is close to being ready to head south. Plan is to work out any bugs then pull her for a few weeks of final detailing at Tim's before heading overland to the upper Chesapeake Bay, possibly Havre de Grace, for a week of final shake down and a bit of blue crab eatin' before heading south for the Keys and Caribbean. Every time I think about this I get the urge to jump up and down, but I'm trying to maintain some decorum, so I only do it when no one is looking. ;)

Thanks again, and hope to see all of you on the water sometime,
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Allen

Post by Allen »

I went for my first sail on 13 June 08 using the new Neil Pryde Cruise Plus Tradewinds spec full batten main and the Schaefer roller furler. Once I figured out how to install a couple of lose battens, with Tim's assistance via cellphone, everything went wonderfully, although the wind was a bit fluky at times. Dropping the main was a bit of a chore since it's new and the lazyjacks are not yet installed, but the wind cooperated and that too went well.

This is my first full batten sail, and my first from Neil Pryde. The sail is very well made and extremely bullet proof, with leather reinforcement at all the critical points. This is a function of the Trandwinds specification for the NP Cruise Plus sail, but IMHO, well worth the money. I am looking forward to many, many years of use out of this outstanding sail.

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Allen,
That's one heavy-duty looking main ... three reefs and all!
My main is now a year old and, as long as I'm head to wind, almost folds itself along the boom.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

You might try coming up in the traveler a bit and easing the sheet to let the leech breathe a little.

No, I'm just just kidding.

I have to say, that's a very strong looking sail. Given the depth of that 3'rd reed I hope that you never have to use it and that all your sailing is downwind and on flat seas...

Best
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man
jollyboat

Sail looks Great

Post by jollyboat »

Allen,
The sail looks great! I am sure you will like having full battens and will come to appreciate the build aspects that went into this sail. For work such as you are about to embark upon, having the proper sails is critical. Let me know if you have any questions and please take a few more pics so we can see the sail under different points of sail. Very happy for you and glad that you like the sail. I am still tinkering with the A-4 but should be ready for a bench test very soon - maybe tonight.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter