You're All Wet

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Commanderpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

You're All Wet

Post by Commanderpete »

A daysailor tends to be a "wet" boat. There is not much of a cabin to block the spray. Also, the cockpit is carried forward so the crew sits closer to the bow.

Adding a dodger would involve some design considerations, and might not even protect the whole cockpit.

My Pearson Commander is a big daysailor. I found that adding a set of wooden rubrails really helped. The rubrails knock down and deflect alot of the spray that used to hit the crew in the face. I know the water temperatures in Maine are a bit....refreshing.

Just a thought. It sure is alot of fun to romp around when the wind pipes up, bashing away with a big press of sail on.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I assume you mean rubrails in the traditional sense, right? That is, a projecting wooden piece, typically trapezoidal in profile, that surrounds the boat at the gunwale? I figured on installing something like this (ultimate form and design to be determined), so it's good to hear they may have an effect beyond the basic protective and aesthetic uses.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Commanderpete

Post by Commanderpete »

These rubrails are quite modest in size, so I was surprised that they shed so much water.

On the outside edge of the wooden rails I screwed the original stainless steel half round.

Lets see if I can post a picturehttp://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/ ... ostid=4252
Commanderpete

Post by Commanderpete »

Perhaps a nice hard dodger.

This one would certainly enhance the looks of any boat.

http://www.cruisenews.net/tanzer/2002delivery/71.jpg
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Bingo! That's just what I had in mind to enhance the sleekness of the daysailor. Nothing like building a carport on top of your boat...

Sheesh.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating