I didn't read the instructions!

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

I didn't read the instructions!

Post by grampianman »

Well, I sort of did, but without perfect comprehension.

I wanted to prime my boat as the topside was basically just raw epoxy and the gelcoat was older, so I wanted to fix it in place and put a coat of paint over it. So far, so good. I went with the Petit Paints unepoxy as final coat, but used their 6999 primer. It is sandless primer and mainly for the bottom of a boat, but can be used for topsides. The kicker was, which I did read, but did not fully take in, was about tackiness. This paint dries glass smooth and hard. Nice. It does not allow one to paint normally once the primer coat has dried! Ooooops! So the lovely top coat on the cabin and deck has not adhered and I have to scrape it off! Photos included.

This shows the boat primed (I am leaving the bottom until later) and boy, it's a nice surface!

[/img]Image

Okay, this is what will be so sad. I like the colour, I like how the paint went on, but now it has to be all scraped off!.

At least now I understand better about some of these paints and their formulation.

Cheers,
Ian,
Wing & a Prayer
Last edited by grampianman on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Rats! What a lousy (if educational) experience for you!

These things happen to everyone, at one time or another. As long as you learn from it, it's valuable experience--though very irritating at the time!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Post by grampianman »

I'm just updating to show progress. I've still got a ways to go, but instead of endless BIG things, it now seems to be endless little things!

Cheers,
Ian

[/img]Image