Smartphone GPS

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Smartphone GPS

Post by LazyGuy »

Practical Sailor did an article over a year ago on Marine chart plotting/GPS apps for smart phones. As we all know, a year is a lifetime for technology and smart phone aps have exploded over the past year. What, if anything, are people using to turn their smart phone into a back up chart plotter/GPS? And, more importantly, what do you think about it? It is February and I want to buy the app in March/April so that I have April/May to play with it and work any bugs out.

Thanks
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Smartphone GPS

Post by Hirilondë »

I don't have any experience with the marine GPS for a phone, but I did play with the auto GPS for a free month. I dropped the service (auto version) because I had no real use for it, but it was fun to try out. I would not be surprised if a marine version works fairly well, or at least soon will when the bugs are worked out. I look forward to hearing from someone who has actually used it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Dennis, I have no experience with the iphone but I went sailing in December with a fellow that had his wife's ipad with the celestial app. It was cool. If you held the ipad flat like a book it showed the sky you were looking at, at that moment in time. If you turned 90' it corredted for that view. If you inverted it and held it upside down over your head, it reproduced what you were looking at in whatever direction you faced. Of course you had to be in 3g coverage for it is fed by satilite, I think. Seems it would be a cool $400 addition to a celestial navigation course.

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Dave,

I have the same ap on my 'droid. You are right, it is excellent but without the sextant, reduction tables and a watch......
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

LazyGuy wrote:Dave,

I have the same ap on my 'droid. You are right, it is excellent but without the sextant, reduction tables and a watch......
Oh, we gotta have all that stuff. too?

Come on guys, this is the epitome of nerdery. Shirley (don't call me Shirley), there are some other comments here.

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
truehand
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Zeelandia
Boat Type: Palmer Johnson Alberg 35

Post by truehand »

I have an older iphone 3 but it does have a GPS chip as well as the "enhanced GPS" over the cel network.
I use the great lakes Navionics app and the "Anchor Alert" app and love them. (especially for 9.99 and 5.99 respectively!)
I've also benefited from the racing apps and learned a LOT about the night sky using the various celestial apps.

It's also nice to have internet access with it's many weather forecasting sources, live radar imagery etc. at your fingertips.

All in all, a pretty cool gadget when sailing in home waters but I'm not sure how the "roaming" charges would stack up on extended cruising. Although, I guess the GPS functionality would work for free?
~~~ /) ~~~
s/v "ZEELANDIA"
David Davidse
http://www.truehand.com/blog
lecker68
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: My Getaway
Boat Type: Chrysler C-26

Post by lecker68 »

I am looking for a sextant and reduction tables for an old fashioned backup.