TELO SELF TAILING WINCHES

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
Osprey
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Osprey
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

TELO SELF TAILING WINCHES

Post by Osprey »

Has anyone used the older TELO brand (out of production) self tailing winches? how do the work compared to other ST's like Lewmar, Harken, etc., and how would you rate them? Thanks.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: TELO SELF TAILING WINCHES

Post by Skipper599 »

... I myself am unfamiliar with this brand name and so, just to create discussion and help you really think about them, I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, questioning what I believe should be considered.

... ie: Unless I can buy these winches at a price too good to pass up, I have to ask myself the question: ... Why buy a product that is no longer in production? ... eg: What will I do if I am in need of replacement parts? ... Will I be happy to use them for 'door-stops'?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Skipper599 wrote:... Will I be happy to use them for 'door-stops'?
I think you will find that they do an equitable job of holding the door open but in sliding them around with your foot to engage or disengage them from use that they will scratch your floor.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

I really don't need any door stops... wonder if they would work for paper weights... may be too big... oh well. BTW the Telo's are history, instead I found a set of used Lewmar 16 ST which are now installed on the boat in place of the original South Coast winches. I am very happy with them! Thanks for your comments. Gary "Osprey" Triton #624
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Lewmar 16's ... now your talking! ... but are they big enough? ... I would have thought 30's would be about the right size ... but only because that is what I've got for my boat, and they don't look too big to me. However, don't let me be sowing seeds of doubt here. What are the determining factors in deciding the correct size of winch?

... I lucked out purchasing a pair of new Lewmar 30's for my own boat from a builder whose customer changed his mind on what "Make" of winch to install. I got the pair of them for one heck of a 'sweet deal' ...

... So my question now is: Will oversize become a problem for me? ... I ask the question genuinely because I don't want to be installing the wrong size right off the bat and it's not too late for me to change at this stage of the project. ... So, come on all you experts out there, give us your worldly opinion on this important (to me) subject ... please.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

So far the 16's have been big enough on our boat. We have had a set on Triton hull #306 "Dido" on Buzzards Bay for years and in all conditions they are good as long as the foresail isn't too big for the wind. In that case they handle the load well but you need to put some muscle into trimming, in more wind they work great with the working jib, so, when replacing the (smaller) original South Coast winches on "Osprey" in Florida we decided they are ideal for the kind of coastal sailing we usually do. Gary
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Bigger costs more, so this could be a down side if price is a factor. You own them already so this one doesn't count.

Bigger takes up more room and may look out of place. Neither seems the case in your opinion, which is the one that counts.

They might work harder than you need, which I can't imagine as a problem.

The only real down side I could see is if they don't pay off easily enough, but then you could use less wraps and most like alleviate any issues in this regard.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... OK, I've answered my own query by doing a comparative check of the specs for a #16 vs #30.

... Here are the numbers right off Lewmar's spec sheet. ...

... ... ... ... ... ...
16AST ... Gear Ratio - 2:1 Power Ratio - 15.8:1 Wt. - 6.4lb
Drum Dia. - 2.5625 ... Base Dia - 4.75 .... Ht - 5.75 ... Line Entry - 2.3125 ... Line Size - .3125 - .5

30AST ... Gear Ratio - 2:1 / 4.2:1 ... Power Ratio - 13.8:1 / 29.2:1 ... Wt. - 9.2lb
Drum Dia. - 2.9375 ... Base Dia - 5.875 ... Ht.- 6.3125 ... Line Entry - 2.6875 ... Line Size .3125 - .5

So the 30 basically has similar specs to the 16 with the added benefit of 2 spd. and additional power if needed. That's great because I can now fly a large genoa and an oversize drifter if I so desire.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Osprey

Post by Osprey »

Sounds like they should be perfect! Enjoy! Gary